Removing Green Residue from MDR V6 Plug?
Apr 26, 2010 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

rockphantom

100+ Head-Fier
Howdy,

I've got a pair of Sony MDR V6 headphones (purchased in April of 2005).
I've had these phones in storage for years. I recently noticed some green residue on the metal plug of the V6s. Is there a safe way to remove this green residue and hopefully restore the original shine of the plug?

Thank you!

Milan

Apr 26, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 8
Sounds like corrosion of some sort. I deal with it regularly on planes. The simplest thing to do is clean it with a brass brush. Or if you get a piece of Scotchbrite and polish with that. Pics might help determine it something else needs to be done.

Apr 26, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #4 of 8
Howdy,

Thank you both for the quick reply!!
I think the plug is constructed of copper.
The corrosion was effecting the sound quality of the V6s.

Any idea what could be causing such rapid corrosion?

Thanks again!

Milan

Apr 26, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 8
Moisture caused it. Deoxit is made specifically for treating corrosion on electrical contacts. I used a qtip and 100% concentrated solution of deoxit gold (don't use gold, according to the company it has 1/40th the corrosion cleaning ability of plain deoxit) to completely remove all the corrosion on a xlr male connector I got that was obviously stored in a very humid place. Then treat with deoxit shield to protect it from future corrosion. Also if you use the 100% solution, just use like 1-2 drops per connector, more to deal with corrosion.

Apr 26, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #6 of 8
Just get some cotton balls and some Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and get it all off. I used this to get some deposits out of my jack and off my connectors for my amp and tubes.

Apr 26, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks Haloxt and gbacic.

I will obtain some Deoxit. Hopefully, this will remove the corrosion.

I have two storage cabinets in my living area, which are directly behind my bath tub. I'll move the metal items I have out of these cabinets.

Thanks again!

Milan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back