Removing and replacing pads on ATH-W100 is a bitch
Apr 28, 2002 at 3:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Blighty

100+ Head-Fier
I thought it would be neat to remove the earpads off of the W100 to see how easy the process was. I held an earpiece firmly with one hand and used the other to twist off the earpad and it was a fairly easy exercise. What I did not realize was that replacing them would take roughly 10mins a piece
mad.gif

The part of the pad that is above the stitch line is slightly flexible and is under stress when attached to the side of the earpiece. Replacing the circular pad entails flexing the outer circumference of the pad around the edges of the headphone that retains the pads. If you can visualize it you can imagine how difficult that may be with an oval shape. I had to use one hand to hold down the parts I had slipped back on while using the other to stretch the fabric over the retaining edges without using too much force for fear I would rip the material. I hope someone can come up with a better method of replacing the pads with more efficiency. However, if you do not fool around with them too often, it should not be too much effort to replace them only when they actually require replacement due to wear.

Apr 28, 2002 at 5:39 AM Post #2 of 5
Perhaps it goes on from the other side? Like, can you put it on in a lopsided manner so that it's past the point of where it goes, and then slide it back to where it belongs? Just thinking out loud, feel free to tell me I'm completely off base...don't have one of my own...yet...

Apr 28, 2002 at 7:11 AM Post #3 of 5
Dusty,

No, I do not think that will work. I realize it is difficult to describe the procedure. The width of the flexible portion of the pad that slips over the edges is not linear at all in size. It is a lot wider near the rear than the front. It might have been easier to remount had it been equal all around. This is also, however, why I was able to twist them off just by rotating them. I neglected to take some pictures while I had them removed argh........

I do not plan on removing them again any time soon. I suspect that constant removal/replacement may damage their fit and/or ability to flex around the retainment edges of the headphone, not to mention a hassle. The whole procedure is difficult only in that it is a bit time consuming if you are careful. I suppose you could just roughly force them back into place by stretching them with more force, which would be infinitely quicker.

I would suggest that those who are seriously considering ordering the W2002 lambskin pads to go for it if you are planning on keeping your ATs. Myself, I have only had them for a couple of days with a total of about 40hrs break-in and a few hours of listening so I have not formed any solid conclusions yet.

Apr 29, 2002 at 1:19 AM Post #5 of 5
Gee, I can hardly wait to take off my W100 pads and replace them with the W2002 pads I just ordered...

At least I won't be "boldly go[ing] where no one has gone before."

Thanks, Blighty. I think...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back