Removing ALPS RK027 from PPAv2
Dec 14, 2006 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Polaris111688

100+ Head-Fier
Any tips on how to remove the RK027 from a PPAv2 board without damaging the through-hole plating and board itself?

Dec 14, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 6
The only real way I've had any success doing this is to flood the banks of 3 pins. That is to say instead of having 6 independent solder point you'll have 2 lines of solder. Heat the front bank while applying gentle pressure upwards and you should see the pot start to come away. Then do the same for the back bank. You might have to alternate back and forth a few times but if you take your time no damage to the board or pot should result. You will have to use something like a solder sucker to clear the holes and excess solder when you're done. That's about the only magic I know.

Best of luck.

Nate

P.s. What caused you to want to remove the pot?

Dec 14, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #3 of 6
I'm working on the first evolution of my superamp. I'm replacing the volume control with the Welborne Lab's remote controlled attenuator and I'm implementing a relay board that'll be triggered on by the remote control that comes with the attenuator. Theoretically, I could leave the pot in there and push the board further back while soldering the inputs to another place closer to the opamps, but I like neatness, so I'm seeing if I can push the RK027 out and solder the output of the attenuator board to the pot pads that lead to the opamp inputs.

Dec 14, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #4 of 6
If you're not going to use the Alps pot (replaced by the stepper) definitely get it out of there. No sense having it degrade the signal and it shouldn't be all that difficult for you to accomplish.

Dec 14, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 6
It won't degrade the signal if I put the attenuator's outputs after the attenuator (bypass the pot, basically), right before the opamp's inputs, but I'd rather get the pot out of there, because it'd look ugly just sitting in there without a purpose.

Dec 14, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 6
I just used a solder braid and a small solder tip and absorbed as much solder as I could and then did a similar rocking motion as nate suggested.. admitedly, the board took a bit of a beating in the process, but it came off
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back