Removed
Jul 17, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #46 of 74
ok, had the a900x for a few days now.  My main issue is that the spring tension on the wings is very light, causing the wings to be very loose and not offer much support. I ran into this on a w1000 as well, while some audio technicas seem to have very stiff wings (my regular a900 is perfectly tensioned)
I tried putting a rubber band or a pony tail holder between the wings. once i got one of proper size and tension (basically adding just a little tension), the fit was great. this actually helps with the pad issue as well, as the pads are now resting against your head instead of pulling on your ears. still think the pads are kinda cheap feeling tho. 
I also tried some creative labs wow headset pads (15$ from their website), which are large cushy pads, the comfort increased, clarity and stage increased slighly. sub-bass response went down slightly. 

so, overall, love the sound, really needs more spring tension in the wings for support purposes

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #47 of 74
I completely agree with you, how a headphone will sound will be determined by the equipment used and the amount of burn in time on the headphones. I noticed the headfiers here compare the k550s sound quality to audio technicas wing design and pads and not it's sound quality. Perhaps if one had a good source or an awesome dac and a dedicated headphone amp and have used both for comparison then I would listen.

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #51 of 74
thx for the reviews and opinions from all,  Ive got my Audio technic A900s (closed) and ive given my K550s a good 100 hours+ burn in now,  id guess it was much much more since there from another user,  ill try and get my thoughts and quick review between both of them.

I gotta admit I do remember my Audio technics A900s grip and clamping force and slipping was a major issue for me but after a good week or 2 Im not sure what happen they just perfectly sit on my head and dont move or wobbly and fit perfectly,  I like the wings and they adjust perfect to my odd shaped head.

Anyhow ill spend a Sunday testing and comparing both Cans,  I already did compare them last Sunday but felt if I give it a full weeks 24/7 burn in on the K550s I may hear things different :)

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #52 of 74
Oddly enough, they had BOTH of these cans @my best buy store in the home theater second to try out. The A900 looks kinda weird and bulky and the angled driver thing is kinda strange but damn did it bring the bass. The akg's were a lot more comfy, but with their setup, I couldn't get near as much low-end out of them, I have a feeling these are really good headphones though (I suspect you could do wonders with an amp here).

the A990 seems like it could be a bass monster through an amp, would love to try that. They had some Senn 595's there too which hands down beat both of them in vocals and strings but had little impact.

Sep 5, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #54 of 74
I am currently in possession of both the K550 and A900X. They are both pretty new. Don't expect a "review" from me, but I will be developing some conclusions. I've got a few thus far, but need to hold off until they are worn in. 

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #57 of 74
i got a a900x recently, and you can definately hear it changing over time , the more you listen to it the better it gets. At the 10 hour mark i suddenly thought wow, where did this bass come from.

I look foreward to the 100 hour mark, but fantastic phones.

May 1, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #59 of 74
lol @ giving treble to the K550

Users who are viewing this thread

Back