Removed
May 28, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #2 of 74
Terrific comparison review. Don't forget to mention the manufacturers of both pairs of headphones, however.

AKG K550 vs Audio-Technica A900X

May 28, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #3 of 74
I too think the wings on my A900X are a little too flimsy, I do have to pull up the A900X as they keep touching the tops of my ears far too offen.
But I do like that they do not do a perfect seal over my ears, my ears do not like the full thump they get from well sealed closed headphones (think DT770 Pro 80-Ohm).
Maybe I should have spent the extra $40 for the K550s?

May 28, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #6 of 74
I wonder if AKG will make an open version with velours. I'd replace my Q701 for an open model that looks as sexy as the K550. And no bumps!

And lol about the wings. So it seems the A900x is as terrible on the head as the AD700. Worst headband design ever. Which is why I'd never get any headphone with wings.

May 28, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #7 of 74
Awesome review Katun!

You really think the K550 sound like the Q701?  Tdockweiler said he heard recessed mids on the K550 that became a deal breaker for him.  Headroom's graph seems to show a "V" shape with the mids dropping down pretty low (Graphs NEVER Lie!!!).
confused.gif

May 28, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #8 of 74
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Quote:
Awesome review Katun!
You really think the K550 sound like the Q701?  Tdockweiler said he heard recessed mids on the K550 that became a deal breaker for him.  Headroom's graph seems to show a "V" shape with the mids dropping down pretty low (Graphs NEVER Lie!!!).
confused.gif

Absolutely. The very first time I listened to them, I was pretty shocked at how good the midrange sounded, especially for a closed headphone. Very upfront, very clear. I think it's well established the SRH940 has excellent mids, and the K550 comes very close. And while it's been a few months since I had my Q701, I cannot think of a headphone that these sound more similar to. Obviously, the Q701 is going to be a little more skilled when it comes to midrange, treble, and soundstage; but the difference isn't all that big. I'd love to compare the two just to see, as I do believe the K550 would sound a bit artificial in comparison. And by that, I don't mean anything negative.

May 28, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #10 of 74
Katun, so I take it you would prefer the K550 to the SRH-940? I think both are severely overpriced, but I'd probably go with the SRH-940. With my setup, it had much fuller mids.
I won't do any thread crapping with my negative comments on the K550.

I just felt it's mids didn't do it for me and felt a bit thin. Female vocals didn't even remotely sound up-front for me. I understand that's due to the recording sometimes.

Seemed to have this weird tonality out of the box and not as clear as the KRK KNS-8400. I imagine it goes away with burn-in.

I had the Q701 and K550 side by side and the mids of the K550 remind me more of the DT-880.

I guess the main reason I got rid of them is that I'd sit there for about two hours and none of the music was doing anything for me. Stuff I usually love. I mean it was just like totally un-engaging for me.
This is coming from someone who loves the KRKs. Strange I know. This rarely happens. This type of snore fest also occurs when I listen to the D2000 and HD-600.

I think the K550 just doesn't match my preferences and I always knew some people would love it. Some guy who listens to only classical and needs a closed headphone would love this.

BTW based on memory, do you think the A900X has more forward upper mids than the K550? I do love slightly forward upper mids.

I actually think the K550 is closer to the DT-880 than the Q701
confused_face_2.gif

Also..I could say the mids are somewhat similar to those of the K702, but not the Q701 (IMO). Sounded even thinner than the mids of the K702...which would be like the DT-880..

Here's an interesting graph I saw:

It seems like Headroom also re-added the K601 measurements! Off topic, but I like this one:

When you listen to them they couldn't sound any more different!

May 28, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #12 of 74
Unless there are some major differences between the wings of the A900X and the A500, I'd have to vehemently disagree with the comfort and design complaints.  I've not worn a more comfortable headphone than the winged Audio Technicas.  I do have quite a large head though, narrow but big.  For example, the cups on my TMA1s only have two more positions to slide down before they'd fall off, so perhaps this is why.

May 28, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #13 of 74
Quote:
Unless there are some major differences between the wings of the A900X and the A500, I'd have to vehemently disagree with the comfort and design complaints.  I've not worn a more comfortable headphone than the winged Audio Technicas.  I do have quite a large head though, narrow but big.  For example, the cups on my TMA1s only have two more positions to slide down before they'd fall off, so perhaps this is why.

Build quality wise, there definitely is! I find the older style have a bit more resistance as well. Also, the A500 is lighter than the A900X.

I had no trouble with the AD700 or AD900. I actually really liked the wings on those two, not to mention overall ergonomics.

Quote:
Katun, so I take it you would prefer the K550 to the SRH-940? I think both are severely overpriced, but I'd probably go with the SRH-940. With my setup, it had much fuller mids.
I won't do any thread crapping with my negative comments on the K550.

I just felt it's mids didn't do it for me and felt a bit thin. Female vocals didn't even remotely sound up-front for me. I understand that's due to the recording sometimes.

Seemed to have this weird tonality out of the box and not as clear as the KRK KNS-8400. I imagine it goes away with burn-in.

I had the Q701 and K550 side by side and the mids of the K550 remind me more of the DT-880.

I guess the main reason I got rid of them is that I'd sit there for about two hours and none of the music was doing anything for me. Stuff I usually love. I mean it was just like totally un-engaging for me.
This is coming from someone who loves the KRKs. Strange I know. This rarely happens. This type of snore fest also occurs when I listen to the D2000 and HD-600.

I think the K550 just doesn't match my preferences and I always knew some people would love it. Some guy who listens to only classical and needs a closed headphone would love this.

BTW based on memory, do you think the A900X has more forward upper mids than the K550? I do love slightly forward upper mids.
I actually think the K550 is closer to the DT-880 than the Q701
confused_face_2.gif

Also..I could say the mids are somewhat similar to those of the K702, but not the Q701 (IMO). Sounded even thinner than the mids of the K702...which would be like the DT-880..

Here's an interesting graph I saw:

It seems like Headroom also re-added the K601 measurements! Off topic, but I like this one:

When you listen to them they couldn't sound any more different!

I find the K550 is more complete than the SRH940. It retains most of the SRH940's midrange, but sounds thicker. Both are very forward and quite excellent! I thought the K550 did spectacular with female vocalists.

I found the DT880's midrange very unimpressive, especially when directly compared with the Q701. Listening to the K550, I really don't have any complaints. Definitely a step above the DT880 in my opinion.

When I first listened to the A900X, I was like, "Oh okay, this (midrange) sounds pretty good". But after the K550 took it's turn, going back to the A900X was like hearing the singer sing into a blanket.

Had my second KRK 8400 a few weeks ago and I found it too cold and thin. Midrange didn't do it for me. I personally think the SRH940 is a good upgrade from the 8400, but the K550 better than both.

I personally thought you'd love the SRH940 back in the day. Then you tried it and didn't like it. I think the same is happened with the K550, which is slightly similar. Perhaps it's tonality is just not your cup of tea.

Woah, that graph is interesting. That midrange portion reminds me of a graph I looked at comparing the PX100-II, HD598, and HD650. Good to see they put the K601 back in there too. I miss that thing.

May 28, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #15 of 74
The K550 is now $62 more then the ATH-A900X.
Ran a rubber band between the wings on the A900X, now the cups keep sliding up touching the bottom of my ears. Maybe I should just glue the A900X cups to center them over my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back