Remove Silkscreen from Metal Surface
Nov 22, 2006 at 9:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

SK138

Headphoneus Supremus
I have an old Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 I like to remove the silkscreen letters and logo from aluminum faceplate. Does anyone know an easy way to remove it and make it a bare metal surface.

Nov 22, 2006 at 9:48 AM Post #2 of 16
I would think that any paint stripper would do it. Try it on something you don't care about first.

Nov 22, 2006 at 2:53 PM Post #3 of 16
I bet this bad boy would do the trick...

141.jpg

Nov 22, 2006 at 2:59 PM Post #4 of 16
I considered that as well as industrial strength sand blaster but I hate getting sand in my shoes. I will try a "chemical" method first
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by vixr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bet this bad boy would do the trick...

141.jpg

Nov 22, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 16
I understand toothpaste and Brasso work quite well for removing silkscreen, but I would be reluctant to use them on a bare metal surface because while you're removing the silkscreen, you'd also be polishing the metal around it and you'll end up with a spot that's very nicely polished in contrast to the presumably rougher texture of the rest of the amp. A solvent of some sort might be the best way to go.

Nov 23, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #6 of 16
Use acetone. It's commonly found in nail polish remover and will strip most paint/silkscreen printing. I get it from my dad's lab, so I have no idea where you could get it. I guess that they would make 100% acetone nail polish remover. Not really sure.

Edit: Make sure you get all of the silkscreen stuff off the first time. After the acetone dries, something changes in the paint and it is hard to get it all off after that. It evaporates very quickly, so use a lot. It will eat plastic too.

Nov 23, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #8 of 16
If it is baked, there is not much to do, there is no chemical that will remove that AFAIK....

Nov 23, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #9 of 16
Acetone was first I tried and it did not work too well. Since acetone dries fast it left a nasty streak like appearance. I will try some tooth paste next. Thanks for your kind reponse

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacTheCat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Use acetone. It's commonly found in nail polish remover and will strip most paint/silkscreen printing. I get it from my dad's lab, so I have no idea where you could get it. I guess that they would make 100% acetone nail polish remover. Not really sure.

Edit: Make sure you get all of the silkscreen stuff off the first time. After the acetone dries, something changes in the paint and it is hard to get it all off after that. It evaporates very quickly, so use a lot. It will eat plastic too.

Nov 23, 2006 at 6:30 AM Post #10 of 16
I think it's definitely baked, as you said. I tried tooth paste and few chemicals so far and it removed very little but not by much.

I guess I need to take it to a local metal shop and have them professionally remove it.

img0959hv6.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it is baked, there is not much to do, there is no chemical that will remove that AFAIK....

Nov 23, 2006 at 6:44 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's definitely baked, as you said. I tried tooth paste and few chemicals so far and it removed very little but not by much.

I guess I need to take it to a local metal shop and have them professionally remove it.

img0959hv6.jpg

you cna scrape the metal with some kind of fine sand paper, but has to be very fine grain...and later polish it a little bit...

Nov 23, 2006 at 7:51 AM Post #12 of 16
Thanks...I was thinking the same thing. Time to put some elbow grease.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you cna scrape the metal with some kind of fine sand paper, but has to be very fine grain...and later polish it a little bit...

May 16, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #13 of 16
Not sure if anyone is still following this thread, but I figure I'll post what worked for me.

For work, I had to remove some logos that were silkscreened onto black-anodized aluminum with hairline finish.  Tried several different options such as GooGone (also tried Extreme), Acetone and some other remover concoctions.  What worked was paint stripper (we have the Permatex Paint Stripper).  Once you applied the paint stripper onto the logo, wait for approximately 20 seconds or so.  The silkscreen should be detached from the surface and might be floating.  If you see the silkscreen floating, you know it's ready to be removed.  Take a paper towel or clothe to gently wipe it off. 

Just a note, like someone else also mentioned, if the silkscreen was baked, it would be really tough to get it off.  If you only have one or two that you need to remove, you might be able to repeat the above process several time to get everything off.

Hope this helps.

May 16, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #14 of 16
Thanks for posting, istyle1129.

Does this mean I win? If so, what? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back