Removable cables, what's all the fuss?
Aug 7, 2015 at 7:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Tadgh

100+ Head-Fier
Please explain this one to me, because I think I'm really missing something here.

I appreciate the ease of use a removable cable could offer, it's increased portability, and ease of replacement in event of failure, but really now... I keep seeing people swear off ever buying headphones that don't have a removable cable, complaining that this should be an industry staple at any price above 150 dollars, and there are people forgoing perfectly good looking and sounding headphones at great prices because they don't have a removable cable! Now this isn't a rant (althought it might sound like it, I'm honestly lost), I'm honestly curious.

what's the big deal?

I'm not going to claim to know what I'm missing here, I've never owned a pair of cans with a removable cable, so I'm in no position to comment. But what's all the hubbabaloo? It seems nonsensical to put such value in a feature which to me seems to hold little value.

Aug 7, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #2 of 7
Perhaps some are being quite a bit too rough with their headphones and thus breaking the cables. 
eek.gif
 Then it'd be cheaper to just replace cables rather than the entire headphones. 

Aug 7, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #3 of 7
Cables are usually the first thing to break - you can run it over with the wheels on your computer chair, it can snag something, IEMs get balled up a lot and you move around so sweat acidity and friction can destroy the cable, etc - and replacing them isn't simple. For one, not everyone has the DIY skills for it; second, the kind of cable necessary might not be available to most people. Some might not have a pro-audio store in their area (or any audio store for that matter), so getting a 3-core (for a single side entry) or 4-core (for dual entry) cable isn't that simple. Worse, it may not fit - some 3-core cables can still be too thick, and a 4-core will still need some DIY work since you need to strip a section off then rebraid two pairs to go to each side. For IEMs, just taking them apart takes a lot of finesse, and that assumes the glue used to help the shell stay together isn't stuck and won't crack whatever clip mechanism is in there so you can put them back together.

Then let's say a manufacturer might repair a broken cable. How much would it take to ship a headphone to wherever the distributor is? Let's say it would be around $30; then even if they repair it for free, that's another $30 to ship it back, so you're out $60, plus there's the added risk of the headphone getting damaged in transit (which is why it would be around $30 - which maybe includes shipping insurance - at least). Add to the $60 how long the shipping takes.

By contrast, within the same time frame you could have just ordered a factory spec cable with a compact and convenient 3.5mm+6.3mm plug for $30+$10 shipping, or a cheap aftermarket cable with a heavy duty Neutrik or Amphenol plug that you can probably order at a length that is shorter or longer than the factory cable (depending on what you need) for $60+shipping. The latter may even come with tougher shrink tubing for stress relief near the plugs, which might last longer even though they aren't as flexible. You can even buy a spare original cable or aftermarket cable in advance, keeping the spare or keeping the original as the spare (in case it's too long or too short for you).

Aug 7, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #4 of 7
I think the value is very high, but I also don't think it's necessary for a stock headphone. Cables are almost always the first thing that breaks, but at the same time a blind monkey could do a removable cable mod on anything that isn't electrostatic. The parts are widely and easily available and inexpensive for the most part.

It's the same reason I don't care if a headphone comes in a balanced configuration or not. It's simple to rewire. Takes less than five minutes even, to reterminate to balanced if it's a 4 core cable and your iron is hot and you've precut the heat shrink.

So basically, it's something very nice to have. But I don't take it into account for my purchases at all. And I just convert it over to a removable cable if and when the original one stock one dies. Make it look pretty and it even increases the value a little bit most times.

Aug 7, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #5 of 7
what's the big deal?

Beats me, but I'm in the minority here. My system doesn't fit on a desk, I don't listen sitting in an office chair, and feel no need to change the factory cables. Portable use is nonexistent in my world - no reason for it. I have a system in my car and can't fathom the need to wear cans during the walk from the parking lot. BTW, I've never broken a headphone cable in the entirety of my existence.

Aug 7, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #6 of 7
Some reasons for exchangeable cables:

1. original cable might be too short / long for intended use
2. buyer might want to try a cable reported to be "better",
such as silver or silver plated copper
3. cable might break (step on it while walking, for example).
If replaceable, cable just pops out of its connection - no harm done.

Aug 8, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #7 of 7
  Perhaps some are being quite a bit too rough with their headphones and thus breaking the cables. 
eek.gif
 Then it'd be cheaper to just replace cables rather than the entire headphones. 

I suppose that's the case, I find the first bit of a headphone to break is the headband though! I'm *very* rough with my headphones sometimes due to very intensive use, and I just bought a pair of stronger cans xD. MDR-7506s, built like ruddy tanks. Still, for other cases I suppose I can see that as being reasonable..

Cables are usually the first thing to break - you can run it over with the wheels on your computer chair, it can snag something, IEMs get balled up a lot and you move around so sweat acidity and friction can destroy the cable, etc - and replacing them isn't simple. For one, not everyone has the DIY skills for it; second, the kind of cable necessary might not be available to most people. Some might not have a pro-audio store in their area (or any audio store for that matter), so getting a 3-core (for a single side entry) or 4-core (for dual entry) cable isn't that simple. Worse, it may not fit - some 3-core cables can still be too thick, and a 4-core will still need some DIY work since you need to strip a section off then rebraid two pairs to go to each side. For IEMs, just taking them apart takes a lot of finesse, and that assumes the glue used to help the shell stay together isn't stuck and won't crack whatever clip mechanism is in there so you can put them back together.

Then let's say a manufacturer might repair a broken cable. How much would it take to ship a headphone to wherever the distributor is? Let's say it would be around $30; then even if they repair it for free, that's another $30 to ship it back, so you're out $60, plus there's the added risk of the headphone getting damaged in transit (which is why it would be around $30 - which maybe includes shipping insurance - at least). Add to the $60 how long the shipping takes.

By contrast, within the same time frame you could have just ordered a factory spec cable with a compact and convenient 3.5mm+6.3mm plug for $30+$10 shipping, or a cheap aftermarket cable with a heavy duty Neutrik or Amphenol plug that you can probably order at a length that is shorter or longer than the factory cable (depending on what you need) for $60+shipping. The latter may even come with tougher shrink tubing for stress relief near the plugs, which might last longer even though they aren't as flexible. You can even buy a spare original cable or aftermarket cable in advance, keeping the spare or keeping the original as the spare (in case it's too long or too short for you).

Good explanation, I can see where you're coming from - as somebody without an audio store in the same part of my country (it's a hard life..) I'm very much so limited by some of what you mentioned. I suppose my issue is I've never broken a headphone cable. I've broken a headphone's headband several times, and one IEM cable (which looking back at gives me an appreciation of the desire for removeable cables), and I currently own a pair of pretty much unbreakable headphones that almost enjoy being rolled over.

Thanks! That spreads a little light on this unenlightened soul :wink:

I think the value is very high, but I also don't think it's necessary for a stock headphone. Cables are almost always the first thing that breaks, but at the same time a blind monkey could do a removable cable mod on anything that isn't electrostatic. The parts are widely and easily available and inexpensive for the most part.

It's the same reason I don't care if a headphone comes in a balanced configuration or not. It's simple to rewire. Takes less than five minutes even, to reterminate to balanced if it's a 4 core cable and your iron is hot and you've precut the heat shrink.

So basically, it's something very nice to have. But I don't take it into account for my purchases at all. And I just convert it over to a removable cable if and when the original one stock one dies. Make it look pretty and it even increases the value a little bit most times.

Honestly I had always thought the same, and I don't see how people without commercial use for their headphones manage to break them so much ;-; (not that I'm turning my nose up, I'm a reasonably clumsy person).

Nice to have.. I can appreciate that!
Beats me, but I'm in the minority here. My system doesn't fit on a desk, I don't listen sitting in an office chair, and feel no need to change the factory cables. Portable use is nonexistent in my world - no reason for it. I have a system in my car and can't fathom the need to wear cans during the walk from the parking lot. BTW, I've never broken a headphone cable in the entirety of my existence.

If I had a car and didn't work in software development I'd probably agree, but those to factors included I'm VERY invested in finding the right headphones for me because portability is a big factor in my life.

The cable broke on some 30$ IEMs of mine, but it was a very shoddy hold from manufacturing from what I had seen. Other than that I would presume cables to be one of the least breakable parts of a headphone!
  Some reasons for exchangeable cables:

1. original cable might be too short / long for intended use
2. buyer might want to try a cable reported to be "better",
such as silver or silver plated copper
3. cable might break (step on it while walking, for example).
If replaceable, cable just pops out of its connection - no harm done.

That's something I can see, I just shove extra cable in my pockets cus I'm a cool kid ^-^

*cough* I really doubt that's a credible investment for anyone with sub half-a-grand cans *cough*

and yeah, that. IDK, I think I see the desire a lot better now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back