Removable Cables A Must?
Oct 17, 2016 at 12:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Bluntfipple

New Head-Fier
Are removable cables a must have for you? (For me, any headphone over $100 should have a detachable cable.)
Do you find proprietary cables to be pretty universally unnecessary? (They seem to be primarily a way for the companies to make extra money than anything.)

Oct 17, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 4
Definitely not a must IMO- I think it's a good feature but not in every situation - removable cable connections also add another point of mechanical stress and manufacturing complexity, and virtually all of my headphone failure issues have been with connectors, either the headphone jack or cable connectors- if I had my druthers, all cables would be replacable/repairable, not necessarily 'removable' and feature robust strain/bend reliefs.

Proprietary cable connections are one way manufacturers can try to address the issues with universal connectors, or might allow for a particular design that is not possible with generic connections, so I don't think they are universally unnecessary, though from a consumer perspective creating a new open standard is preferable to an exclusive copyright type of situation.

Most of my removable cable experience is with IEMs, so just as an example I think Sony's EX connectors or the relatively rare threaded SMMCX standard are improvements over commonplace 2-pin and MMCX in a lot usage cases.

Oct 18, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #4 of 4
Are removable cables a must have for you? (For me, any headphone over $100 should have a detachable cable.)
Do you find proprietary cables to be pretty universally unnecessary? (They seem to be primarily a way for the companies to make extra money than anything.)

Yes. The housing on many IEMs are epoxied. If the cable becomes damaged the IEM could become unusable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back