Remotely controlling music from a PC
Apr 2, 2021 at 12:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

davidfrance

Head-Fier
I have a Tidal account, and I also have many .mp3 and .flac files.

What are the words that I should type into Google (for info on this subject) if I want to have the digital content coming from my PC (my Tidal account and my music files), to go to my DAC and amp, and headphones, but I want to control it via my smartphone or tablet. Maybe it is « Roon » ? But I don’t need multiple outputs. Nor different output rooms or devices. And I don’t want to pay a monthly fee. I just want to remotely control my PC, that is, the music it is sending to the DAC.

Maybe via something like « Chromecast » I could at least output stuff from my Tidal account to my headphones ?

The thing is, I want to be relaxing at my bed, not sitting in front of my PC.

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #2 of 5
You want a streamer.
You can buy or build it. I built one with a Raspberry Pi and Allo Digione HAT, using MySqueezeBox software, LMS server (both free) and a paid app on the iPhone for controlling the system. Excellent SPDIF output for the DAC and very good UI. Highly recommended. Works with Tidal, local files (on USB stick, USB HD or a network drive) and internet radio. The output HAT determines the kind of signal (and quality) you will get. Allo is maybe the best source for high quality HATs.

Apr 2, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #3 of 5
You want a streamer.
You can buy or build it. I built one with a Raspberry Pi and Allo Digione HAT, using MySqueezeBox software, LMS server (both free) and a paid app on the iPhone for controlling the system. Excellent SPDIF output for the DAC and very good UI. Highly recommended. Works with Tidal, local files (on USB stick, USB HD or a network drive) and internet radio. The output HAT determines the kind of signal (and quality) you will get. Allo is maybe the best source for high quality HATs.
Thanks, I just looked at John Darko’s video « A beginner’s guide to Raspberry Pi streaming », and I see. Exactly what I am looking for. And interesting too. Thanks.

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 5
If you can physically connect the phone to the DAC/amp (I use a USB C to B cable) you can just run things off the phone. Check USB Audio Player Pro app for Android, see if that will do what you want. It'll play local files on the phone, stream Tidal and Qobuz, and play files from your PC via uPnP/DLNA.

Also, you could always buy a cheap spare Android phone or tablet and run things from there. Cheap and easy vs. a dedicated steamer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back