Remote controls: do they degrade SQ, do you use them?
Mar 15, 2006 at 12:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dead of night

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, just got my new D-NE330 with remote and wondered if, all things being equal, you prefer using your PCDP with or without remote? Also, do you think the extra length of wire degrades SQ?

Mar 15, 2006 at 1:26 PM Post #2 of 7
Hmm...

Whilst not referring to PCDPs - The (5G/Nano) remote improves sound quality by having an extra DAC inside...

As to PCDP remotes, I personally tended to steer clear.

Mar 15, 2006 at 2:03 PM Post #3 of 7
When I said in my original post, "all things being equal," I meant if the PCDP is sitting on a table and the situation does not require a remote, do you still use one. I am finding with the D-NE330 that the volume button on the unit itself is not as pleasing or easy to use as the volume button on the remote.

Mar 15, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #4 of 7
Don't worry about it - of course there will be a small theoretical amount of degradation due to extra resistances etc. Any extra link in the audio chain will do so, but really it will be negligible and if you can't tell the difference already you wouldn't be asking this...

Mar 15, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
Hmm...

Whilst not referring to PCDPs - The (5G/Nano) remote improves sound quality by having an extra DAC inside...

As to PCDP remotes, I personally tended to steer clear.

Duncanl, can you elaborate bit more about the sound improment of radio remote? I can not find any information about the extra DAC information in the radio remote. I heard it is imposible to get a digital out from ipod dock?

I am thinking to buy one, but using it will lose the line out capability make me feel bit negative, so if the extra DAC is true it would certainly be a bonus.

Mar 15, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #6 of 7
Mar 15, 2006 at 4:12 PM Post #7 of 7
I bought an Apple Radio Remote for my Nano. It helps limit physical handling of the Nano and the possibility of a drop. It also limits the exposure of the Nano to public view (theft, robbery, and so on).

The remote has its own electronics for the FM radio. Its headphone out is not derived from the Nano heaphone out. For example, any tracks with Itunes set volume adjustment will sound unadjusted out the remote headphone out. You can use the Ipod out and the remote out at the same time. I do not detect any change in volume in the remote out when I plug a headphone directly into the Ipod at the same time.

The Radio Remote is pricey but it is well made and designed. The FM radio integrates into the Ipod well (uses the Ipod screen for its display). The controls are very Shuffle-like. It is easy to operate blind. I use it constantly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back