remote control for notebook?
Jul 12, 2004 at 8:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

strogg

100+ Head-Fier
I've got a laptop (if you forgot already), and i really want to turn that into a really big portable player, considering that the notebook tends to go where i go most of the time. Now, i want to control winamp by a remote or something. I thought about a portable keyboard and just using the shortcut keys, but what i really want is to have a small handheld device that can just control whatever's happening on my laptop. That way, the notebook can stay in my notebook case
smily_headphones1.gif
anyone have ideas?

Jul 12, 2004 at 11:37 AM Post #2 of 13
There're some remote control out there: Soundgraph Imon(IR USB), ATI remote wonder(Radio USB), Keyspan(IR USB)... I personally use Keyspan remote control because it's small and easy to configure. I had an ATI remote wonder before, but it fell 2 stairs down and died...more buttons, bigger but harder to configure without a program like girder(www.girder.nl). It should cost you around 25$-70$

Jul 12, 2004 at 6:19 PM Post #3 of 13
the keyspan one looks interesting. so i'm assuming it's configurable for winamp so i can at least switch from track to track with, right? If so, i'll just get that, and i'll have one of the largest portable out there controlled by a nice small remote control.

Jul 12, 2004 at 6:37 PM Post #4 of 13
I'm working on something similar, but it may be a little too DIY for your tastes. My laptop will be running Linux and I'll be controlling it via bluetooth with a pocketpc or cell phone. The interface will be a web app of my own design. Once its done (or at least usable) I'll be releasing it, but, though the app will be in Zope which can run on Windows, the hooks to actually play the music, etc will likely have to be rewritten for other platforms.
I may go so far as to create a mini-distro, so, if the laptop will be dedicated to this task, you could run my Linux distro without knowing much/anything about Linux.

Jul 12, 2004 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 13
well, i tried linux on this laptop before, and everything went wrong, from the broadcom fiasco to the difficulty of modeline for the screen to graphics drivers incompatibility to pretty much everything you can think of. So... the closest thing to linux i'll get on this laptop is cygwin. Oh well.

Jul 13, 2004 at 1:57 AM Post #6 of 13
guys ,don't make this too difficult !

Go to X-10.com and download the mp3 anywhere software and then purchase the mouse remote .

total control over all (or just about all) media players plus full use of the computer,including surfing online from the comfy chair !

Jul 13, 2004 at 3:28 PM Post #9 of 13
The Streamzap model isn't too shabby - more info over there: http://www.streamzap.com/

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jul 13, 2004 at 3:49 PM Post #10 of 13
I'd go with either one of these bad boys (or any of the thousands of other identical auctions on ebay): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...491961895&rd=1 because it's cheap, it's small, it works with Girder and also comes with it's own program that works pretty well.

I used to have one, but got an ATi remote wonder because I wanted more range and the size didn't bother me. The remote wonder also works well with Girder, and it can work through material, so the reciever doesn't have to be exposed.

That's the high and the low end. I've tried them both and personally, unless you need the ATi drivers (not as good as girder) or you need more range/concealed reciever, I'd get the cheapie one.

As a bonus, if you rip open the reciever, the guts are fairly compact and you could re-case it into something smaller and more discrete, and mount that to the lappy bag.

Jul 13, 2004 at 4:15 PM Post #11 of 13
OK ,here is the link to the 'MP3 Anywhere" product . It sells for $79.99 but that is with a remote control and Wireless transmission to from your pc to a stereo system whic you may not need.

but if you download the "BOOM 2000" software you get the heart of it then you can use the "MouseREMOTE" handheld remote control for $49,99 with software to navigate the Boom 2000 player interface-the solution i have used for about five years or so .

http://www.x10.com/automation/x10_mk19a.htm

The plus side is you gain full computer control with the remote and you can set up hot keys etc. The buttons on the back of the remote act as the left and right mouse buttons and the "four way pad" on the front like arrow keys.

Very easy to use and if you use a mouse you will quickly adapt to using the remote .
A great product for the cost as are most of the X-10 home automation products ,which i use a lot of in my home for controlling everything

the site does suck though and the X-10 popups were the reason for my very first pop up blocker software .They were everydamnwhere !

Jul 15, 2004 at 6:39 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by strogg
the keyspan one looks interesting. so i'm assuming it's configurable for winamp so i can at least switch from track to track with, right? If so, i'll just get that, and i'll have one of the largest portable out there controlled by a nice small remote control.

Yeah, you don't even need to configure it with winamp, you can play, pause, stop, next track, prev track, fast fw, rewind, vol up/down, mute, cycle between applications...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back