Remote control a media player from another PC?
Dec 30, 2009 at 11:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Magsy

100+ Head-Fier
Not so easy to explain this but....I have a big noisy powerful desktop, I also have many small, quiet and fanless PC's.

I want to have a Media Player running on a quiet PC but to control it from the big PC.

What I don't want is a web interface, an app on my iPhone or a physical remote. Ideally I'd have a copy of Winamp running on my big PC but it is infact controlling Winamp on a quiet PC.

Does anybody know of such an app? I don't do media libraries or iTunes, I have a five terrabyte array with folders, good old folders! I need to navigate these via an explorer interface.

I have a long IT background and can think of many ways of doing this but all require a lot of work/CPU horsepower (such as running Citrix or 2008 RDS with published apps or more crudely XP Remote desktop but that ain't neat)

I'm almost after an Airport Express type experience, where it is 'piped' to the quiet PC.

Ta!

Dec 30, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #3 of 5
This sounds exactly like a feature built-in to J. River Media Center 14!

They have 2 functions which could help you out, first is their Library Server and the second they call "TreMote"

Library Server allows you to open your library on another machine (say your laptop) and have access to your entire library, playing it on the machine you are operating (again, perhaps laptop) via LAN or Internet. It's really nice to be away from home and still have access to all your music!

TreMote allows you to control your main server by openning the interface on a remote machine and allowing you to control playback at the server from the remote machine. This allows you to control playback all around the house from one machine.

I should also mention it can handle multiple playback zones (how many sound cards can you fit into your PC?)

It may be well worth your time to look into this more as I may not have explained it the best, but their forum and wiki has plenty of info.

Dec 30, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TightVNC: VNC-Compatible Free Remote Control Software maybe?

Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This sounds exactly like a feature built-in to J. River Media Center 14!

They have 2 functions which could help you out, first is their Library Server and the second they call "TreMote"

Library Server allows you to open your library on another machine (say your laptop) and have access to your entire library, playing it on the machine you are operating (again, perhaps laptop) via LAN or Internet. It's really nice to be away from home and still have access to all your music!

TreMote allows you to control your main server by openning the interface on a remote machine and allowing you to control playback at the server from the remote machine. This allows you to control playback all around the house from one machine.

I should also mention it can handle multiple playback zones (how many sound cards can you fit into your PC?)

It may be well worth your time to look into this more as I may not have explained it the best, but their forum and wiki has plenty of info.

Ahh that looks like it! Haven't looked at J River in years, seems to be a lot packed in there now!

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back