Reminiscing
Sep 28, 2009 at 8:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

LnxPrgr3

100+ Head-Fier
I just found, deep in a backup folder, the files from the first CD I ever burned… back when Napster was still alive (OK -- so that was forever ago to a 24-year-old… I was in high school at the time). Horrible quality, highlighted by the equipment I'm pumping it through, and yet I'm moved beyond words.

It's times like this that remind me why I love music.

Sep 28, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #2 of 4
Were they 128kbps files? I remember the old days of 'sampling' music where 128k was the norm (well for me anyway). It was a glorious day when I got my first CD burner for christmas it was a 4x unit with Kodak gold CD-Rs. I had a friend with a 1x CD-R it used the cartridges.

Sep 28, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by devin_mm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Were they 128kbps files? I remember the old days of 'sampling' music where 128k was the norm (well for me anyway). It was a glorious day when I got my first CD burner for christmas it was a 4x unit with Kodak gold CD-Rs. I had a friend with a 1x CD-R it used the cartridges.

Yeah -- a few better files, but mostly 128kbps MP3. Being 2001 encoder technology, that's even worse than today's encoders at the same bitrate.

My family's first CD burner was an external USB Iomega, capable of writing at 4x. Windows would coaster every other CD I tired to write though. Now I take for granted that I can burn a CD at 48x reliably.

1x CDR though… can't say I've had the pleasure of taking more than an hour to fill a CD :-D I still think it's amazing, though, that now we can write a full CD in a few short minutes.

Sep 28, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #4 of 4
I don't remember too many USB units back then, SCSI external drives were the thing to have though since they usually had built in memory for buffer under run protection (geez I never thought I'd have to use that phrase again). I remember many times having my fingers crossed that my antivirus wouldn't kick in during a burn or something because those discs cost a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back