REMINDER: posting copyrighted material
Jun 18, 2003 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MacDEF

Headphone Hussy (will wear anything if it sounds good)
Over the past week, the mods have encountered quiet a few instances where members have posted entire articles from other sources.

Posting an entire article, or even substantial portions of an article, without explicit permission is a copyright violation and puts Head-Fi at risk.

If you see an article you want to share, please provide the URL to the article instead.

Jun 23, 2003 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Dweebgal
is putting parts of an article in in quote tags, naming the source alright?

In the US, you can quote/source select parts of an article under "fair use," but you need to limit how much you include. It's generally better to just link to the article if you can.

Feb 22, 2004 at 6:22 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
That's a definite copyright violation under US law.

If you clearly state that it is respective property of the band then is it??...a lot of sites have lyrics up and I don't see anybody complaining...just a thought...what's the real stance on this?

Feb 22, 2004 at 8:02 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
If you clearly state that it is respective property of the band then is it??...a lot of sites have lyrics up and I don't see anybody complaining...just a thought...what's the real stance on this?

Just a few seconds with google could have answered your question definitively. You don't see anybody complaining? Try this: http://archive.nytimes.com/library/t.../19lyrics.html

Lyrics don't belong to the "band", they belong to the copyright owner (often the author of the song.)

Mar 25, 2004 at 3:09 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
That's a definite copyright violation under US law.

How about repeating the entire lyrics for a song or singing it in front of others (not for money, but in general)? Actually, I don't think it matters whether or not you charge. For example, churches must pay royalties for copyrighted songs sung in worship services. How about just singing a song quietly on the subway or at a family gathering?
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2004 at 3:17 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by daveman
How about repeating the entire lyrics for a song or singing it in front of others (not for money, but in general)? Actually, I don't think it matters whether or not you charge. For example, churches must pay royalties for copyrighted songs sung in worship services. How about just singing a song quietly on the subway or at a family gathering?
biggrin.gif

Theoretically, some of the above may be illegal. However, laws deal with practical matters, not theory. Nobody's going to sue you for singing a song in the subway or shower
wink.gif

Posting the lyrics to a song on a forum is a different story -- this is a print medium here, and what gets posted remains publicly accessible indefinitely. Dunno what the moderator's views are toward song lyrics specifically (or portions thereof)... anyone want to chime in?

Oct 12, 2004 at 8:31 AM Post #10 of 10
Well, it must be understood that the owner of this website has certain obligations toward protected content. Being that any formal complaints would be directed to this website's owner first, I don't blame them one bit for setting this policy. Sometimes people, (like me), tend to forget what is or isn't protected material, so an occasional reminder doesn't bother me in the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back