Remember when you where Young and Music just washed over you and touched your inner soul?
May 7, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #31 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you need equipment for music to touch your soul, then you have problems. Sorry.

I'm not saying I'm totally free of attachment to my equipment. But we've got to have at least some knowledge that this is delusional, that the equipment is just fun, and not necessary, and that really, it is quite silly, and music is what really has the substance, the soul.

You are very correct.

I love what Radiohead's brilliant Jonny Greenwood said in an interview recently:

“That sort of hi-fi sound-quality thing really annoys me,” says Greenwood. “I was in London talking to a label guy once, and I said hi-fi is just about middle-aged men trying to make music sound as good as it did when they were teenagers, and it never will. They’ll never be as excited as they were when they first heard that music coming out of just one speaker. They’ll never get that close to it again.”

True, Jonny, but have you listened to your own Myxomatosis on some quality cans? good god....

May 7, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #32 of 34
I've got to admit that the quality of playback affects me more now than it did back in the 80s when all I had was a mono boom box and a cheap walkman clone with the cheapest cans that could be found in the harwdare store. But the music still brings its magic :)

May 7, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #33 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by theBigD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, I was just thinking about how when I was young and music just affected by being so very much. And I realized that through the middle part of my life I kinda lost touch with that. And recently with my new Denon D7000 and a new Stello DAC and the C2C amp, I am experiencing music like this again! Its absolutely Incredible!)

Nailed it right there with that statement. That's what getting the right gear is all about for me right now.

That, and getting out there and listening to some live music, and getting to know musicians, sound engineers, all those guys, and trying out new music genres, keeping it alive... that's what works for me. Keeps the spark bright!

May 7, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #34 of 34
Music has always delighted me, both listening and playing. I can be moved easily by poorly reproduced music. But then, I can be delighted by good reproduction and hearing things I hadn't on music I've listened to for 40 years. Sums it up for me.

- Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back