Remastering quality
May 25, 2003 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

Mike Scarpitti

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anyone much experience with so-called 'remastered' CD's? My experience is that they are horrible. I just got last night a copy of "Trick of the Tail' by Genesis, and ATCO reamster. It sounds HORRIBLE! It's all bright and hissy and the sibilance is digusting! I used to own a Charisma import LP of this recording, which was superb. I also picked up a 'remastered' copy of Pink Floyd's 'Wish You Were Here" (now on Warner Brothers) a few months ago. It sucked too. the old Columbia CD sounded FAR better.

What's wrong with these people? Can't they hear?

May 25, 2003 at 9:57 PM Post #2 of 62
I think you're in the wrong forum (should be under "music"). Every time there is available a newly re-mastered CD of something I own and love, I buy it and replace the older original issue. I can't think of a single re-master I've bought that sounded "worse" than the original wooly, thin, "digital", un-dynamic and distant CDs that were issued up til the mid-90s. IMO, the CD has come a long way in the last 5-7 years. To me, it's almost a "night and day" difference, maybe you like laid back wooly sound?

What source are you using? The DACs in CDPs have come equally far in the last 5 years. Cheap $400 models of today can sound like $4000 models of yore.

Mark

May 25, 2003 at 10:00 PM Post #3 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
I think you're in the wrong forum (should be under "music"). Every time there is available a newly re-mastered CD of something I own and love, I buy it and replace the older original issue. I can't think of a single re-master I've bought that sounded "worse" than the original wooly, thin and distant CDs that were issued up til the mid-90s. IMO, the CD has come a long way in the last 5-7 years.

What source are you using? The DACs in CDPs have come equally far in the last 5 years. Cheap $400 models of today can sound like $4000 models of yore.

Mark

The sound is unacceptable. It's a lousy transfer. I have hundreds of CD's, and this one is one of the worst I have ever heard. I ordered a used Charisma (UK) CD through amazon.com. I think ATCO is one of the worst record companies as far as quality is comcerned. In the 70's, I always found the British imports to have better quality than ATCO releases of British-origin recordings. Always. I think whoever did this remastering job should be shot. It's HORRIBLE!

May 25, 2003 at 10:02 PM Post #4 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
I think you're in the wrong forum (should be under "music"). Every time there is available a newly re-mastered CD of something I own and love, I buy it and replace the older original issue. I can't think of a single re-master I've bought that sounded "worse" than the original wooly, thin, "digital", un-dynamic and distant CDs that were issued up til the mid-90s. IMO, the CD has come a long way in the last 5-7 years. To me, it's almost a "night and day" difference, maybe you like laid back wooly sound?

Mark

I have a Sony 508-ESD CD player. It's very, very good! there's no problem there, I assure you!

May 25, 2003 at 10:03 PM Post #5 of 62
Maybe you just got ahold of a bad remastering. I hope that it's just you, because Trick of the Tail is one of my favorite albums. Oh well...

May 25, 2003 at 10:09 PM Post #6 of 62
My experience is same as Mark's. Never have I come across a CD that have remastered version sounding worse than the older versions. Technology improves, and I believe record companies, as well as engineers, do comparisons to older versions.

Regards,
W

May 25, 2003 at 10:09 PM Post #8 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by elrod-tom
Maybe you just got ahold of a bad remastering. I hope that it's just you, because Trick of the Tail is one of my favorite albums. Oh well...

That's what I'm saying. It's incompetent! I used to own the Charisma LP, import from England. It was LOTS different from what I hear on this CD. Much warmer sound. I think they copied tapes back then, and sent the copies to the US for release here. the original master stayed in England. So the records we got here were always hissier and dirtier than the LP's from England. I used to collect Pink Floyd, Fairport Convention, Steeleye Span, Genesis, and Beatles imports precisely because of this. They were better sounding. I think ATCO simply 'remastered' their ****ty copy of the tape to CD, and that's at least part of the problem. I've got the UK-source Charisma CD coming. I can't wait to hear the difference

May 25, 2003 at 10:12 PM Post #9 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by Wilson
My experience is same as Mark's. Never have I come across a CD that have remastered version sounding worse than the older versions. Technology improves, and I believe record companies, as well as engineers, do comparisons to older versions.

Regards,
W

OK, compare Pink Floyd's 'Wish You Were Here'. Compare the WB with the Columbia. You'll hear more dynamic range and better clarity overall on the Columbia. No doubt about it!

May 25, 2003 at 11:38 PM Post #10 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by acs236
I picked up Trick of the Tale used several months back. Oddly enough, I almost bought the remastered edition today, but didn't.

Where do you live? US? UK? Where was your copy made US? UK?

May 26, 2003 at 7:37 AM Post #11 of 62
If the CD was made back in the 80's, then usually a remaster will sound better, if only in the dither and frequency response areas. Yes, sometimes they overcompress, but that shouldn't result in the result that you're describing, Mike. I don't know what's wrong. Are you sure you got the remaster?

May 26, 2003 at 1:34 PM Post #12 of 62
I have not met a remaster I didn't like, at least, not yet. Though, I guess there's probably a few incompetent remastering engineers somewhere... maybe you just got unfortunate w/ your picks.

May 26, 2003 at 11:40 PM Post #14 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Scarpitti
...a 'remastered' copy of Pink Floyd's 'Wish You Were Here" (now on Warner Brothers)...

That's right; Warner Brothers (a/k/a AOL Time Warner) is now the parent company of Capitol/EMI, having bought the latter up earlier this year.

May 27, 2003 at 4:08 PM Post #15 of 62
Do you still think labels release remasters for the sake of art, to give the world better versions of past works?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

They only care about sales! The order to the mastering engineer is something like: Do it popular again, make it appealing to today's general audience, think Britney Spears, etc.
The sound of the day is overcompressed, always-in-the-red-zone-of-the-UV-meter, zero-dynamics "sound". If you like it, go ahead. Not me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back