Remastered Pink Floyd (James Guthrie)albums to be released on Sept. 27th:
Oct 11, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #61 of 94
Reasons are beginning to grow to justify me buying a Blu Ray player with a decent DAC...

Like this? http://www.electrocompaniet.no/news/item_0011.html
I just found out about it and am intrigued...

Oct 29, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #62 of 94

I uploaded a Sound Forge screen shot of Money - 2011 Remaster from the Immersion Box Set and they did a great job preserving transients - no brick wall limiting at all. The left channel hits 0dB only during the loudest parts of the song. The right channel only reaches 0dB four times in the entire song!

My favorite part of this box set is to listen and compare the SACD James Guthrie 2003 5.1 mix and the 1973 Alan Parsons Quad Mix. I keep flipping back and forth between those two. They are both equally impressive in their own way...

Nov 2, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #63 of 94
those remasters are very nice and definitely an improvement over the previews editions..but i am a little dissapointed,at least from the older albums like dark side, atom heart etc.   i wish there were just a tiny bit more highs to the overall sound..a little  more sparkle. (i should probably listen with my RS1's
bigsmile_face.gif
)    and i wouldn't mind them taking off all the hiss and dirt from the sound,like in the beatles remasters where you don't hear any hiss at all...well almost :)      

Nov 2, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #64 of 94
those remasters are very nice and definitely an improvement over the previews editions..but i am a little dissapointed,at least from the older albums like dark side, atom heart etc.   i wish there were just a tiny bit more highs to the overall sound..a little  more sparkle. (i should probably listen with my RS1's
bigsmile_face.gif
)    and i wouldn't mind them taking off all the hiss and dirt from the sound,like in the beatles remasters where you don't hear any hiss at all...well almost :)      

I think the fact that the 2011 remasters are NOT compressed and they didn't add any unnecessary treble boost is a very positive thing. The problem with most of today's rock is the treble-happy production. I believe the new remasters are a welcome relief.

Nov 2, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #65 of 94

Quote:
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:
I think the fact that the 2011 remasters are NOT compressed and they didn't add any unnecessary treble boost is a very positive thing. The problem with most of today's rock is the treble-happy production. I believe the new remasters are a welcome relief.

Agreed with Ross (baka1969) 100%. I hated many of the initial late '80s and early '90 CDs. They were all produced way too bright to what I would consider neutral. I much prefer the newer remasters to the older brighter = more clear (which it isn't of course
wink.gif
) CDs.

Nov 3, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #66 of 94
Finally got around to listening to Animals and it is indeed a very pleasant listen - theres no sign of harshness at all. I do feel that a smidge more treble sparkle would have made it perfect. It sounds a little boring at lower volumes.

Nov 3, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #67 of 94
I have the DSOTM Black label Harvest CD from Japan, the first batch meant for USA sale according to the coding on the inner part of the CD, and to me the new 2011 remaster of DSOTM sounds almost exactly like my Japan Harvest CD. I could not tell any difference, so I did not bother getting the 2011 remaster or DSOTM from iTunes.

Nov 3, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #68 of 94

Quote:
I have the DSOTM Black label Harvest CD from Japan, the first batch meant for USA sale according to the coding on the inner part of the CD, and to me the new 2011 remaster of DSOTM sounds almost exactly like my Japan Harvest CD. I could not tell any difference, so I did not bother getting the 2011 remaster or DSOTM from iTunes.

Care to elaborate how the 2011 remaster sounds like that?

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #69 of 94
Just from ear listening and comparing the 2....I did not use any sound visualization tools, just my ears using the same speakers for both comparisons. I used harmon Kardon Soundsticks with iSUB using the Texas Instruments TAS3001C sound chip in my computer, which is a VERY good sound chip by the way, and those speakers are very sensitive and accurate in the very near field up close listening environment that I use.

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #70 of 94
Zeno: although I haven't listened to your pc rig, I can easily imagine that it would be easier to capture more subtle differences between mixes using a bit more resolving sound reproduction system. No offense intended, but it was a good idea to disclose the info on the playback system.

Nov 4, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #71 of 94
If you have not listened to my speakers and the computer setup, then you do not know its resolving power, and you can not easily determine anything about it like you say....I know what it does.. Believe me, it has lots of resolve.

Nov 4, 2011 at 5:16 AM Post #72 of 94

Quote:
If you have not listened to my speakers and the computer setup, then you do not know its resolving power, and you can not easily determine anything about it like you say....I know what it does.. Believe me, it has lots of resolve.

My apologies, I just looked these up on amazon, they're certainly mastering quality devices. I might even sell my gear to get them, thank you for your advice!

Nov 4, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #73 of 94
Remember they are very close near field speakers, if you go away from them and at any angle, you loose lots of their treble....I listen to them hooked up to my computer sitting right in front of them at my computer with the iSUB right in front of me on the floor....If i go lie on the couch away from the computer with them working, I loose lots of treble and the bass is boosted, but up front and close to them they are great.

Nov 4, 2011 at 5:39 AM Post #74 of 94
Speaking of mastering, I have JBL 4411 Control Monitors hooked up to a real Class A amp in additon, and I like my computer setup better than my JBL 4411 Control Monitors....

Nov 4, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #75 of 94
No need to sell anything, they are at the low end cost wise....I know your pulling my leg anyway, just add them to your computer..you will be surprised how good they are for computer use.....they are a niche speaker for up close at the computer listening. and thats all. If anyone wants to listen while not sitting directly at a computer, these are not for them. The reviews online at the Apple web site are more telling than any reviews at Amazon....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back