Remastered albums tagging
Apr 13, 2013 at 12:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Zuriel

New Head-Fier
I just want to know other people's perspective. If you are ripping a remastered CD (e.g. Dead Can Dance' "Within the Realm of a Dying Sun", originally released 1987, re-released and remastered 2008), what do you indicate on the YEAR field? Is it the year of the original release or the release date of your remastered CD?

Apr 13, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 3
The year of the remaster seems more appropriate, especially if you land an original release CD at some later date.
Remasters can be a gamble as far as sound quality goes,some are just horrible compared to the original release.

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
The year of the remaster seems more appropriate, especially if you land an original release CD at some later date.

Thanks! discogs.com uses this format and I quote (from their Quick Start Guide), "the release date here ... [is] the actual date that this version was released". This was more appropriate though it can be annoying at times for example, a box set contains multiple CDs that was actually released on different years (e.g. 1987-1995) but was all remastered on the same year (e.g. 2008) for the purpose of the remastered box set.

Quote:
Remasters can be a gamble as far as sound quality goes,some are just horrible compared to the original release.

I am perfectly aware of this, although you cannot tell that it sounded bad or good if you do not have the original release. Most of the time, original releases are very scarce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back