Remarks on Sennheiser buds
Feb 15, 2006 at 8:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Moonwalker

100+ Head-Fier
Hi to all Headfiers!

After some time, i found my old Sennheiser MX400 and MX350 buds (both unmodded, foamed) somewhere in the draver, sitting, waiting for some future use. Using KSC-35 for more than year, every day, commuting, walking and shopping, I had to re-equalize my ear to the much less full sounding buds. Still, without foamies they're not fo me at all. And I needed to use Bass Boost 1 on my MZ-R30 Sony MD Walkman to really fill my head with soundfield and not sounding like two points of sound source in my ears.

I tried the MX350 first, and found they are nicely extended on the treble and have quite large soundstage and detailed sound - that are positives. On the other hand, bass is not so good, especially lower is nearly nonexistant and midbass is weak. Upper bass has hump and mids are uneven. Treble, although extended, is quite sharp, crisp and sound like there's some peak and dip in it. Some songs are less bright than what I'm accustomed to, some are simply chalky and sharp. The loudness level of many songs needs to be adjusted on the way, because sometimes voices are too soft, some tones are piercing too much, needing reduction of volume.

Overall: better than many buds, but too sharp treble and too soft mids with boomy upper bass make the MX350 silent sitter in my drawer, waiting to be appreciated by someone else (wife?)

Next, I put on my old buddy MX400 and found them better in some aspects, worse in the others. The extension is not so great in treble, but better in bass. They are less peaky sounding, have smoother sound (compared to MX350, not vs. KSC35! ). Mids are just fine, even dry and mechanical. Now to the weak points: Not hi treble, the extension ends around 12kHz or so, forget about finesse. They are not soft sounding at all, being analytical and and a bit cold at the same time. Their resolution is also lower than that of MX350, but they sound "quick" if you can understand. I need some volume adjustment between songs too, mainly because of the softer bass I want to hear and too strong level of upper mids in next song.

Overall: Better for my use, sometimes I'll put them on when I'll need something small under my headband in the cold weather nowadays
smily_headphones1.gif
They are also better than any other buds I've heard.

I was using pop, rock, counry & folk music for the small listening test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back