Remarkable Speech by Israeli Novelist, David Grossman
Jan 23, 2007 at 8:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

scrypt

Head-Fi's Sybil
While I'm neither a fan of Grossman's fiction nor a supporter of the positions he sometimes advocates, I was amazed to read the speech he gave in the presence of, and sometimes to, Prime Minister Elhud Olmer. The occasion: to commemorate the passing of Prime Minister Itzak Rabin, who, before he was shot, attempted to further the Middle East peace process. (Since Grossman's own son was killed during Israel's recent invasion of Lebanon, I find it difficult not to see parallels between his ordeal and that of certain of our American activists.)

My point is not to spark a political debate, nor to discuss matters that clearly have no place on these boards. Rather, it is to praise Grossman's taste and courage -- since he chose to address controversial matters intelligently and empirically -- and to lament the current state of things.

Impassioned candor is common enough in foont-on-the-street opinion polls, but rare at the level at which thought bestows power, public occasion, dignity. American news has, for the most part, become a centaur of sleaze: one-sided partisanship of whatever description leading the upper torso, puerile tabloid gossip and entertainment advertisements weakening the lower. Our only hope of hearing a speech at Grossman’s level is to abandon our lives, monitor C-Span hour by hour and descend into Warholian tedium. We deserve better, I think: we deserve news that pays attention to candor and eloquence. Public debate should rise to an art form more often; intelligent discourse ought to be informed by ethics, pragmatism and empathy, not ad hominem, character assassination, vendettas and blockbuster slogans.

What matters is not the particular position taken but, rather, the intelligence of the inquiry:-- the speaker should manage no less than a serious attempt to be fair. In that spirit, Grossman seems not to be arguing the case of any particular party. Instead, he merely offers hard-won insights.

Not to initiate a religious discussion, but I find it fascinating that Grossman is a believer in the State of Israel (though he endorses the surrender of a good deal of land to the Palestinians) but a non-believer in the Jewish religion, and that he would say so publicly at a high-level event taking place in Israel. Consider what would happen to a public figure here or in the UK if s/he were similarly candid: Stark differences that ought to lead to serious debate, but would wither habitually to a moratorium on opponents' mutual respect.

We live in a time in which nearly everyone of public importance is either afraid to tell the truth or incapable of doing so intelligibly. Didn’t we emerge from the mid-twentieth century defeat of fascism with the idea that free speech is supposed to mean something more than permission to be nasty? The idea was that eloquent candor leads to the refinement of thought and the betterment of society. It should remain so still -- not for political reasons, but to ennoble and deepen our interaction at every level.

Jan 24, 2007 at 11:33 AM Post #3 of 13
Particular squirming must have polished the current Prime Minister's chair, since Grossman actually uttered words like these:

"Today, Israel's leadership fills the husk of its regime with fear and intimidation, with the allure of power and the wink of the backroom deal, with haggling over all that is dear to us. In this sense, our leaders are not real leaders. They are certainly not the leaders that a people in such a complicated, disoriented state need. Sometimes, it seems that the public expression of their thinking, of their historical memory, of their vision, of what really is important to them, fills only the tiny space between two newspaper headlines. Or between two police investigations. . . . When was the last time that the Prime Minister suggested or made a move that could open a single new horizon for Israelis? A better future? When did he take a social, cultural, or ethical initiative, rather than just react frantically to the actions of others?"

An odd paradox, really, that free speech is tolerated from Grossman (who effectively calls the Prime Minister a vacant criminal in the above quote), yet certain Israeli citizens do not have full equality. That is precisely the sort of paradox Grossman addresses in his speech while exhorting his audience to change.

I'd love to see eminent American writers and artists become as sane and pro-active as Grossman. To do that, they'd have to become deferential (as opposed to insincerely modest), eloquent (as opposed to shrill), high-minded (rather than publicity-seeking), practical in a far-sighted way (instead of agenda-driven in a myopic way) and inspired (instead of inanely self-important).

I especially liked this:

"[T]o Jewish and Arab citizens; to the people of the right and left: stop for a moment. Look over the edge of the abyss, and consider how close we are to losing what we have created. Ask yourselves if the time has not arrived for us to come to our senses; to break out of our paralysis; to demand for ourselves, finally, the lives we deserve to live."

Jan 25, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 13
Wow, what an amazing speech from the heart and mind. Very brave, too. More people should read it.

Jan 25, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrypt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"...stop for a moment. Look over the edge of the abyss, and consider how close we are to losing what we have created. Ask yourselves if the time has not arrived for us to come to our senses; to break out of our paralysis; to demand for ourselves, finally, the lives we deserve to live."

That is something many people in most nations of this Earth need to begin to do. Even here in America, where we like to think we can kick ass anywhere/anytime, the abyss is yawning for us.

Laz

Jan 25, 2007 at 6:48 AM Post #6 of 13
who shot him??

and a million philosophers had used abyss as a metaphor before him.......therefore it didnt sound great to me at all

Jan 25, 2007 at 8:49 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
who shot him??

and a million philosophers had used abyss as a metaphor before him.......therefore it didnt sound great to me at all

It's the humanity of his words that made it powerful, not any particular literary device he used.

Jan 25, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

who shot him??

Did you bother to read the whole speech? Was it just easier to pick out what was quoted? You don't have to agree with it, but you do have to read it.

Jan 25, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #9 of 13
It's a beautiful speech IMO.

I used to work for an Israeli company, and had the great opportunity to visit Israel 4 times. In all those visits, it was interesting to me to get a basic feel for the views of my co-workers.

The overwhelming feeling was that of "give us a chance for peace, and we will gladly take it." Several of the folks lived in areas where there was a mix of Jewish, Arab, and sometimes other groups (Greek Orthodox, for example, some who did not live within the Walled City in Jerusalem).

In those areas, there is peace and friendship. Poeple help each other in day to day activities, be it work or play.

It's extremely difficult to take things from a national level to a personal level, and deal with a person one on one as another human being as opposed to being "one of THEM." But it seems that, at that personal level, there is much less hatred.....if only it could be brought up to the higher level.

Jan 25, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of discussion is supposed to occur in this thread that's not political or religious in nature?

An appriciation of the manner in which the writer made his case.

Jan 26, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by skullguise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The overwhelming feeling was that of "give us a chance for peace, and we will gladly take it." Several of the folks lived in areas where there was a mix of Jewish, Arab, and sometimes other groups (Greek Orthodox, for example, some who did not live within the Walled City in Jerusalem).

In those areas, there is peace and friendship. Poeple help each other in day to day activities, be it work or play.

It's extremely difficult to take things from a national level to a personal level, and deal with a person one on one as another human being as opposed to being "one of THEM." But it seems that, at that personal level, there is much less hatred.....if only it could be brought up to the higher level.

Yes, most of us can get along at the neighbor level, and I like to think that we are learning to more and more. But there are among us those [sociopaths?] who find they can obtain money and/or power for themselves and their cronies by stirring things up. Thus, we have tyranny, unrest and wars. Remember the old Star Trek episode about the alien life form which kept humans and klingons at each others' throats, because the life form fed on negative emotions? It is not just space opera, but rings very true.

Laz

Jan 26, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

. . . [A] million philosophers had used abyss as a metaphor before him. . . therefore it didn't sound great to me at all. . . .

The thing I've always found disappointing about "Whistler's Parent" (or "Arrangement in Grey and Black," if you prefer) is that the artist resorted to Verona Ochre for his depiction of his festive mom's mug. As we all know, Verona Ochre has been used by too many painters throughout history to be effective any longer and that is why Whistler's portrait of his mumsy seems derivative. (I was going to say the painting falls flat when I remembered that nearly all paintings would remain flat as they fell -- another example of Whistler's lack of originality!)

I have similar issues with contemporary French novels, most of which use the letter e shamelessly with apparent disregard for the fact that nearly every French novel throughout history has done the same. Fortunately, George Perec's A Void manages to sidestep the tedious vowel entirely, much to the advantage of that novel's dramatic effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back