Remanufactured HD600 for $199 - but I'm not a super audiophile
Jul 19, 2005 at 9:16 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
What didn't you find worth it about the E3c? For $100 its the sweet spot for price/performance on IEMs

They didn't sound too much better than my EX51SL and certainly not as good as my HD 280 Pros. Maybe I didn't let them burn in enough but they just sounded so bland.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
Some folks, in the know, consider remanufactured or refurbished to be better than the new that you buy in the store. Think about it. You go buy a sealed in the box new lemon, doesn't work, take it back, store sends it back to factory who puts a group of expert techs to work scoping out the problem, re-assembling the unit with new parts where needed, testing and re-testing to make sure it is no longer a lemon, sends it to sales who, sells it again as a refurb, because that is the law.

At least, that is what some guy told me.

That's actually good logic.

The lemon issue aside...given the somewhat conflicting arguments put forth in this thread, I'll just have to try these babies out for a month.

Jul 19, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #17 of 28
hmm, well I was going to get some Grados but now I'm kinda tempted...anyone have experience with a Grace 901/HD600 pairing?

also is there any way to get discounts at amazon, short of signing up for their credit card?

Jul 19, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #18 of 28
Hello
smily_headphones1.gif

In a similar situation as yours I would rather buy myself a new HD595 than a "refurbed" HD600. Not for some "brand new" mania, but because the HD595 that you know you like is not worse than the HD600, but significantly different. What you like in the HD595 you may not entirely find in the HD600, the latter having a sound less exciting/inviting, less upfront/intimate, though with a little bit more refinement/aplomb.

To make it short, I don't think the HD595 is "inferior" to the HD600 in terms of a hypothetical sum of virtues and of all-round enjoyment, so I would recommend it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2005 at 9:58 PM Post #19 of 28
I don't mind saving a bit of money with a refurbished product, as they still come with a full warranty and should be in brand new condition. Regarding whether or not you think they are overkill, I think in some cases they might be. I use my HD-600s with an iPod and mp3s, but I also rip my own, and at a fairly high bitrate. There are no pops, clicks, or other compression-related artifacts that I can hear with my mp3s. In some cases I might rip with lossless, particularly with favorite albums and classical music. My take on these headphones is that even with some lower-end audio equipment, they may not be reaching their potential but they may sound better than some other cheaper alternatives. If you want to save a bit of money, I think the HD-580 is likely to be just as good, especially without some of the better sources and amps. If you get those refurbished or used (amazon.com has them new for $150, last time I looked) they are an even better deal. If you ever do upgrade your equipment, your headphones will sound even better, and I doubt you'd be disappointed with your purchase.

Jul 19, 2005 at 10:13 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

No point in buying such high end headphones when the source is going to be garbage (MP3). Lossless is a much better option, but as it seems most people still stuck on using MP3s are ones that pirate all the music.

Dude, MP3's can own at high bit rates.

Try some tracks at 256 kbps and compare them to lossless.

You might be surprised...

-Matt

Jul 19, 2005 at 10:16 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellowjacket
I've been wanting to get a pair of open air headphones but getting HD600s is like saying "I want a car to drive to work" and getting a Corvette - it's overkill.

But if you could get a Corvette for $200.00, what the heck? I should jump on them, I'm not a fan of the HD650 not the HD600 neother, but I found a pair for 50.00 I would get them....(I could use them at bedtime....
biggrin.gif
)

Jul 19, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
But if you could get a Corvette for $200.00, what the heck? I should jump on them, I'm not a fan of the HD650 not the HD600 neother, but I found a pair for 50.00 I would get them....(I could use them at bedtime....
biggrin.gif
)

Yeah, seriously.

Get the Corvette!

We're not taking into account positive externalities here...

It's a chick magnet, just like the HD600...

-Matt

Jul 20, 2005 at 1:07 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Yeah, seriously.

Get the Corvette!

We're not taking into account positive externalities here...

It's a chick magnet, just like the HD600...

-Matt

I doubt I'll have any women hopping in my bed when they see me with HD600s
tongue.gif

frown.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

No point in buying such high end headphones when the source is going to be garbage (MP3).

My experience is that my Refurbed HD600's sound better than any of my other phones regardless of the source. There is also the idea that as my source improves the HD600's will be ready to perform. I use them with my portable equipment now and then and they are great! It's pretty promising when I enjoy them now and realize they are not being used anywhere near their potential. Something to look forward to tomorrow
600smile.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by DobsOnly
My experience is that my Refurbed HD600's sound better than any of my other phones regardless of the source. There is also the idea that as my source improves the HD600's will be ready to perform. I use them with my portable equipment now and then and they are great! It's pretty promising when I enjoy them now and realize they are not being used anywhere near their potential. Something to look forward to tomorrow
600smile.gif

Compared to the other phones you've listed (Ety ER6, Koss KSC-35, KSC-75, Senn PX100) I would hope they sound better, heh

Jul 20, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Compared to the other phones you've listed (Ety ER6, Koss KSC-35, KSC-75, Senn PX100) I would hope they sound better, heh

My point exactly! How could you go wrong?
icon10.gif

Quote:

I have Sony EX51SL on the go and HD 280 Pro at home.

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:55 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

No point in buying such high end headphones when the source is going to be garbage (MP3). Lossless is a much better option, but as it seems most people still stuck on using MP3s are ones that pirate all the music.

That is just so wrong! I've been listening to mp3's for years now (hd650 + rega ear) and they are NOWHERE near as bad as you say. A 192 kbps mp3 is extremely close to a cd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back