Reluctant to buy a Rega DAC
Mar 11, 2013 at 12:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

CB3874

100+ Head-Fier
[size=10pt]Hello,[/size]

[size=10pt]I have a Rega DAC on loan to hear how it sounds with my Rega Brio R & Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 speakers. I liked it very much but feel very hesitant to pull the trigger. I don't know how old the Rega DAC is but I'm finding reviews going back to 2010 so it's been around awhile and still retails for $895 new. [/size]

[size=10pt]There are many newer DACs out now that can handle 24 / 192 asynchronously thru USB & SPDIF / Coax for a lot less like the Bifrost, ifi iDac, MyDac, and Emotiva XDA-2. If I get the Rega DAC, I'm going to have to get an USB to SPDIF/Coax converter to play my 24 / 192 files. I do like the Rega DAC. I think it has a nice warm, organic sound and can see how some feel it's very close to analog.[/size]

[size=10pt]Could something that's been around 3 years old still be on par & competitive with the newer DACs on the market?[/size]

Mar 11, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
[size=10pt]Hello,[/size]

[size=10pt]I have a Rega DAC on loan to hear how it sounds with my Rega Brio R & Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 speakers. I liked it very much but feel very hesitant to pull the trigger. I don't know how old the Rega DAC is but I'm finding reviews going back to 2010 so it's been around awhile and still retails for $895 new. [/size]

[size=10pt]There are many newer DACs out now that can handle 24 / 192 asynchronously thru USB & SPDIF / Coax for a lot less like the Bifrost, ifi iDac, MyDac, and Emotiva XDA-2. If I get the Rega DAC, I'm going to have to get an USB to SPDIF/Coax converter to play my 24 / 192 files. I do like the Rega DAC. I think it has a nice warm, organic sound and can see how some feel it's very close to analog.[/size]

[size=10pt]Could something that's been around 3 years old still be on par & competitive with the newer DACs on the market?[/size]

The Rega DAC functions nowhere near 24 bit (more like 17 and 3/4 bits) so you do not need to worry about that too much. For the price it is a rather average performer in technical terms , distortion and noise are relatively high and many cheaper DACs do a lot better. The upside is that 
it has a nice flat FR and the noise levels are unlikely to be intrusive and you like the sound. In terms of modernity DACs reached the Rega's level of performance about 15 years ago (well aside from USB my Entech 203.2 did anyway)  that said although performance has improved and is available cheaper you may not necessarily notice the difference anyway !  For rather less the Cambridge DACMAGIC betters the Rega in almost all departments, The Rega has slightly better jitter on USB not that you can hear that anyway

Mar 11, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #3 of 5
I've heard the Rega DAC in my system (Creek OBH-22 Passive, Parasound A21, Magnepan 1.6's or/B&W 805/B&W CDM 1NT's/NHT Classic Three's and Velodyne DD-12) and it sounded warm, very nice, yet didn't stand out "to me" from the Dacmagic w/Pangea P-100 or a couple other sub $900 DAC's BUT, what is important, is what YOU think. 

Having heard several sub $1000 DAC's lately I'm come to the conclusion that DAC's have gotten pretty darn good even at low price points and a $500 (or less) DAC today would probably sound better or just as good as a $1500 (or more) DAC from just 6-8 years ago. You mentioned the Bifrost, that's one of the DAC's I'd buy if I wanted to spend less than $500...those guys know what they're doing.

I'm trying out a new Parasound Zdac (silver, no rack-mount) right now and so far so good, it sounds analog like with powerful bass and a beautiful midrange...I need more time with it but so far so good. It's only $475...lots a good digital gear out there for not much money. 

Best of luck with your decision!

Mar 13, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 5
I ordered a Schiit Gungnir (non - USB) on clearance from Audio Advisor and a NuForce U192S (USB to SPDIF converter) yesterday. I've read nothing but good thing regarding the Gungnir and I got it significantly less than the Rega Dac. I like the Rega DAC and may pick one up if I find one used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back