Reliable, proven audiologist for getting ear impressions in the Chicago area?
Jun 3, 2009 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sgprater

100+ Head-Fier
Can anyone provide the name of a good, proven audiologist in the Chicago area for getting ear impressions? I had some taken for my ER-4S in my hometown a few years ago, and I was decidedly underwhelmed by the resulting customs (I ended up going back to the triple flanges, much as I hated them).

I'm seriously considering getting the JH-13s, but before before shelling out that kind of money, I want to make darn sure I get excellent molds.

Jun 3, 2009 at 12:09 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the suggestions. I did go to the JH Audio website, and I did search for audiologists in the Chicago area, and I did see a list. Unfortunately, in my experience, just because an audiologist shows up on a generated directory list does not mean that they will produce good custom molds. The last audiologist I went to for molds had never done molds for audiophiles, didn't know what ER-4S's were, and I got the distinct impression she thought the whole procedure was frivolous. The resulting molds were barely adequate. I don't want to get burned again, hence the query for a concrete recommendation.

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to publish someone's name on an open forum. Thanks.

Jul 9, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgprater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the suggestions. I did go to the JH Audio website, and I did search for audiologists in the Chicago area, and I did see a list. Unfortunately, in my experience, just because an audiologist shows up on a generated directory list does not mean that they will produce good custom molds. The last audiologist I went to for molds had never done molds for audiophiles, didn't know what ER-4S's were, and I got the distinct impression she thought the whole procedure was frivolous. The resulting molds were barely adequate. I don't want to get burned again, hence the query for a concrete recommendation.

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to publish someone's name on an open forum. Thanks.

hey sgprater - wondering if you found anyone in particular.

i'm ordering jh13 pros myself and am looking for an audiologist in the loop/near north area.

any feedback you might provide will be helpful.

thanks.

Jul 10, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #6 of 7
No, I didn't. I did some Googling, and I identified a couple of places in Evanston, but I didn't make a move beyond that. I decided to hold off on the JH13s for the time being... the price is a bit steep.

I haven't completely given up the idea, though -- if you end up getting impressions made in the north suburbs area, and then get the JH13s, I'd like to know where you went, and what your experience was.

Good luck!

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgprater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I didn't. I did some Googling, and I identified a couple of places in Evanston, but I didn't make a move beyond that. I decided to hold off on the JH13s for the time being... the price is a bit steep.

I haven't completely given up the idea, though -- if you end up getting impressions made in the north suburbs area, and then get the JH13s, I'd like to know where you went, and what your experience was.

Good luck!

thanks for following up.

for better or worse, i haven't borne the consequences resulting from shoddy mold procedures. so, i'm going to the sonus-operated audiologist on michigan ave.

once I receive the JH13 Pros and am able to determine whether or not the molds were good, I'll report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back