Reliable laptop review site?
Aug 9, 2011 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

WisdomListens

100+ Head-Fier
Looking to buy a laptop but overwhelmed by the amount of choices. Any of you tech enthusiasts know a reliable review site for laptops/notebooks?

Aug 10, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #5 of 8
Check this:
http://www.notebookreview.com/

I did some research there before buying mine. 
smile.gif

Aug 10, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
What's your budget, needs,etc?

Its actually for my dad and he's going to use it for microsoft office and other everyday kind of things. He also wants the laptop to be good at playing movies and videos.
Budget is ~$600

Plus: a good amount of battery life if possible.*

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #7 of 8
I would get a HP or a Lenovo for that price.  Those are really the only brands that you can get for that price with some decent specs, other than some companies like Toshiba or Samsung.  Asus makes nice laptops as well, although they're usually a bit pricier.  Personally I'd stay away from Toshiba and those companies only because they make so few laptops and there's very little support on the web if anything goes wrong, barely anyone owns one, although there's isn't anything wrong quality wise with what they make.

If you check around bensbargains you can find some pretty decent deals.  For $600 I'd say you should at least be able to get at least an i5 and you really don't want to go below 4gb of ram.  The graphics card probably isn't a big deal, but anything not made by intel is ideal.  If you get an intel processor do your best to get a 2nd generation sandy bridge cpu, which are basically all of the i3, i5, and i7's with a 4 digit number (like 2630) after them.  The first generation ones will have a 3 digit number.

I saw this the other day, it's a really good deal in my opinion.  I don't know if you'd be able to get the student discount but even without it I'd say it's fairly good.
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/56503/office-depot-asus-u56erbl7-laptop-core-i5-2410m-2.3ghz-cpu-8gb-ddr3-750gb-hdd-15.6-1600x900-lcd-dvdrw-wifi-win-7-home-prem

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #8 of 8
I dont know, i had 2 hp laptops and they gave me a lot of problems. The DVxxx series were crap. 
I'd look into Gateway. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back