Reliabililty issues with Antique Sound Labs??
Jun 11, 2005 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

nweiss

New Head-Fier
Have any of you had any experiences with ASL headphone (or other) amps? I ask because I have gotten 2 straight units of the MG Head Amp MkIII that have been defective. The first was very noisy and the 12ax7 was very microphonic directly out of the box. The vendor was very cooperative about exchanging it for me.
The second unit worked well initially, but, after sitting idle for a couple of weeks, seems to have lost all output.....it powers up, tubes light, but I only hear a lot of noise, and only faint music, even at full volume-both coupled and OTL.
I'm just curious if this is SOP for ASL, or if I'm just buying from a "bad batch"?

Neil Weiss

Jun 11, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #2 of 20
now that you mention it.......

HeadRoom stopped carrying ASL a few years back due to reliability

just got my AudioAdvisor catalog. ASL not listed; had been there for some years. haven't checked the web site. you might send them a query.

Jun 11, 2005 at 6:48 AM Post #4 of 20
I haven't owned one but they used to be very popular around here till they really started having reliability problems on a regular basis... Pity because when they worked they had a great bang for the buck reputation...

Jun 11, 2005 at 1:08 PM Post #5 of 20
I gather that Upscale Audio threw them over as well. That's where I bought my OTL/32, which has been a good amp for me. It's got it's problems...the headphone jacks are screwed on crooked, for example. That said, it's a damn nice price for that amp.

I've had no association with specific reliability issues, but they do seem to be well documented. I've not heard much about them LATELY, though...maybe things are better these days??

Jun 11, 2005 at 1:15 PM Post #6 of 20
From past postings (over the last couple of years) the reliability problems seem to go in cycles. The issues were traced to factory assembly issues not design problems.

Jun 15, 2005 at 10:11 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by robert
just got my AudioAdvisor catalog. ASL not listed; had been there for some years. haven't checked the web site. you might send them a query.

I was just over at their website, and the gear is still there and listed at the regular prices. I would have thought that they'd clear it out if they were getting out of the game, so I assume that they are still carrying the ASL line. Dunno....

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/mf...+Lab&MFGID=270

Jun 15, 2005 at 1:28 PM Post #9 of 20
I had the MG Head and it was excellent without any problems.

A microphonic tube happens and isn’t ASL’s mistake.

Your current problem needs to be identified before the blame can be placed on ASL.

It sounds like your listening to the cross talk from an adjacent input channel. Like your listening to the noise on an input that’s been switched to something else? Like your pre has been switched to the Aux input but the source your using is the CD input.

Mitch

Jul 13, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #10 of 20
Just wondering if anybody has had any problems recently.

I'm looking at grabbing a new MG HEAD DT OTL MKIII and this will be from the States and I'm in Australia.

I am checking out warranty procedure before I buy, but I don't want to have to be sending it back and forth if there are problems.

I'm looking for something to go with my Beyer DT880's and around the US $350 price range.

If there is anything similar to the MKIII and more reliable maybe I should be looking at that.

Any suggestions or feedback welcomed.

Thanks.

Jul 16, 2005 at 2:29 PM Post #13 of 20
I had an ASL MG Head Mark III DT/OTL and I loved every minute of it. I learned a lot about tubes from rolling that amp and I thought it had a great sound. I switched to an integrated amp with a headphone jack but I actually miss the MG Head for it's smooth and airy sound, although it can be a little slow and syrupy, it sure sounds nice (gotta change out those stock tubes though.)

Jul 16, 2005 at 2:45 PM Post #14 of 20
Thanks guys for all of the feedback.

I'm just at the stage of ordering one now from divertech.com.

Just a pain to get it from the US to Australia, about US 90 for shipping.

I might give the local guy a call in St. Ives, not to far from where I live and yeah I've heard from others that the stock tubes are best replaced.

Much easier to go down the road than shipping halfway round the planet.

Thanks again.

Jul 16, 2005 at 3:24 PM Post #15 of 20
I've had my antique sound labs MG head otl Mark 111 for about a month now and have had no problems what so ever.Works great.I do wonder about changing tubes,and just how much difference it makes in the sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back