Apple Music  Now with lossless high-res and spatial audio
Jun 1, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #137 of 871
I’m pretty excited and I’m thinking about taking a look at this:

https://www.belkin.com/us/adapters/...nect-audio-adapter-with-airplay-2/p/p-auz002/

I’m thinking I could run this off of a battery and stream lossless/hires Airplay 2 to it and run optical out of it which should be a pretty low noise streaming option. I don’t really have a large library of local files so this kind of setup may work well for me. I have a Pi2AES but this audio adapter seems like a nice simplified option and even if I don’t replace the Pi2AES in my main setup I can already think of a use for it somewhere else. Another option is Airport Express, which will receive from Apple or Microsoft computers and devices.

Jun 1, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #138 of 871
WWDC21 will kickstart on 7th June. We may get update around that time frame with launch of iOS 15

Jun 1, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #141 of 871
We could see more from Apple or we might not see anything radically new hardware-wise. I don't think a giant behemoth like Apple can go from compressed, wireless audio to hi-res, wired or wireless overnight. So many different software and hardware teams at Apple would have to be working on this simultaneously.

Jun 2, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #142 of 871
We could see more from Apple or we might not see anything radically new hardware-wise. I don't think a giant behemoth like Apple can go from compressed, wireless audio to hi-res, wired or wireless overnight. So many different software and hardware teams at Apple would have to be working on this simultaneously.
Maybe they just don’t care for the time being. All AirPods users wouldn’t hear any difference re lossless anyways but they will have great benefits from spatial audio. All audiophile enthusiasts wouldn’t benefit from spatial audio but even with little external DACs or DAPs will have certainty that they get the best possible material for streaming.

Win:Win:Win, if you ask me.

Jun 2, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #143 of 871
Well, it's free, so of course it's all a win. I don't think this is some game changer based on what we know currently. Of course they might be working on cool stuff in secret, but if they are, we haven't seen signs of it yet.

Jun 2, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #145 of 871
Well, it's free, so of course it's all a win. I don't think this is some game changer based on what we know currently. Of course they might be working on cool stuff in secret, but if they are, we haven't seen signs of it yet.

I don’t know how spatial audio will sound in reality. I only know this feature from movies and shows like The Mandalorian on Disney and there, it is a game changer imho.

I’d bet on AirPlay 3/new streaming protocol with support for HiRes streaming over any wired solution. Rumor mill has the iPhone going completely portless/wireless, so a wired DAC/amp seems unlikely.

Very likely. Still, Apple states lossless will only work with external DAC/Amps. At least currently. Maybe there is something in the making?

Jun 2, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #146 of 871
I’d bet on AirPlay 3/new streaming protocol with support for HiRes streaming over any wired solution. Rumor mill has the iPhone going completely portless/wireless, so a wired DAC/amp seems unlikely.

I’m hoping they end up doing like Spotify and have Apple Connect. Where you only use iPhone or iPad as a remote and music plays nativity on whatever streamer. Won’t drain battery and can switch to any device to continue the remote connection. But I assume Apple will figure out how to do wireless hires. There have already been sightings of the lossless icon showing up on some people’s iPhones.

Jun 2, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #147 of 871
Once they go portless I'm out. Never giving up my wired solution. Especially when I bet companies like FiiO won't be allowed to use Apples brand new wireless protocol on their wireless adapters. It'll be proprietary can almost 100% bet that.

Jun 3, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #148 of 871
If Apple significantly upgrades (and frees up the license to) Airplay as well as their BT codec, then I'll consider their foray into lossless audio legit. Otherwise, I have to consider the case of Apple Arcade, which is celebrating its 2nd year as an active service in Sept. Literally not a game changer :smile: But seriously, I'm looking for signs of life within the company towards audiophiles.

Jun 5, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #150 of 871
Just got iOS 14.6. Can’t see anything obvious.
I’m in 14.7 beta and it doesn’t have Apple Music update either. It’s something on the server side they need to activate. Going to assume it will go live next week. Hope lossless is at least bit perfect with AirPlay 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back