relaxed, warm, laid-back cdp under 2k
Aug 31, 2007 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

greggf

1000+ Head-Fier
What are the warmest, most relaxed, most laid-back cd players under, say, 2k?

I'm thinking of a cdp that has the equivalent, in the digital world, of the Sennheiser house sound.

Other than the c.e.c. TL51XR, I can find very few clear indications of warm cdps in this price range. (The c.e.c. seems to list for about $1900.)

Many, many thanks!.....................

Aug 31, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #2 of 15
what's wrong with your CD33?

Sep 1, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #3 of 15
Might want to give the Naim CD5i a listen. IMO, it is musical, liquid, and tonally sweet without sacrificing punch and PRAT. It comes close to my vinyl rig in sound signature and that is the main reason I chose it over current Arcam and other brand offerings in the same price range.

Never heard a CD33 to compare and would be interested in opinions on the difference as the CD33 had some good press around here.

Good luck.

Sep 1, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #5 of 15
There's nothing wrong with my CD33, but I'm interested in finding out where it fits in the grand scheme of things in terms of cdp sound signatures in its price class.

It's certainly refined and delicate, but a tad . . . boring? . . . and I was wondering if others thought that it was possible to find a laid-back machine that isn't boring.

It may seem as if laid-back and boring are synonymous, but I'm not sure that they are. If they are, then maybe I'm looking for warmer than a CD33.

In any case, I feel that the CD33 is a technically superb cdp that is just a little bit "not human." Is there a more expressive, yet equally relaxed (not aggressive) cdp out there, at the same price? I'd be happy to sacrifice a little detail...

Sep 1, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In any case, I feel that the CD33 is a technically superb cdp that is just a little bit "not human." Is there a more expressive, yet equally relaxed (not aggressive) cdp out there, at the same price? I'd be happy to sacrifice a little detail...

Have you considered the Marantz SA8001?

Sep 1, 2007 at 1:41 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a more expressive, yet equally relaxed (not aggressive) cdp out there, at the same price? I'd be happy to sacrifice a little detail...

Good dynamic range is what creates an aggressive sound. If you are prepared to give up dynamcs and a little detail, why not save yourself a lot of money and just buy a U$200 or less CD player. It seems kinda strange to me that you would want to buy a CD player at U$2000 with the sound qualities of something 1/10th of that.

Sep 1, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #8 of 15
I was at Primus Audio a couple weeks ago and they had a Simaudio player for around $2k that sounded good to my relaxed preferences. I think it was the Equinox. I would love to hear the Raysonic 128.

Sep 2, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #9 of 15
In my opinion the best CDP available for under $2K is a used Linn Ikemi. It sounds great, which is to say the sound is balanced. Warm and relaxed when the music is relaxed. Jumpy and quick when the music is quick. It is not forward or backward. It has really nice balance. If you get a chance to hear one I think you will like it a lot.

Sep 2, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my opinion the best CDP available for under $2K is a used Linn Ikemi. It sounds great, which is to say the sound is balanced. Warm and relaxed when the music is relaxed. Jumpy and quick when the music is quick. It is not forward or backward. It has really nice balance. If you get a chance to hear one I think you will like it a lot.

I have never heard Ikemi, but their all-in-one unit sucks big time for the money. Their Unidisk 1.1, which I have had a chance to demo, is very very good, although not your bang for the buck kinda player.
600smile.gif

Sep 2, 2007 at 7:48 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Amen on the Ikemi. I've looked far and wide for a comparable player but have yet to find something that doesn't upset me in some way (in the price range).

Sep 4, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #12 of 15
I think your cd33 is boring 'cause your used to it. Same thing will happen with your next cd player. Spend the money on some more music that isn't so boring.

Sep 4, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #13 of 15
Lector 0.6T. It's a really great sounding Italian tube CDP. I prefer it to my old MiniMax. Very musical. You can do a google search and find lots of positive review. I'm pretty sure Venus Audio in MI and Blackbird Audio in CA (Dan, is a great guy and also supplied most of the Heed Canamps to head-fiers here) still sell them new. You can sometimes pick them up used, but not that often. I keep thinking I will sell mine, but then back out of doing it before I post a FS. It's also quite beautiful, btw.

Sep 4, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #14 of 15
Anything with tubes...

I don't really get into any non-tubed players these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back