Relaxed/airy IEM / earphone? (~$200-$400 max)
Aug 28, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #16 of 23
All of these alternatives sound really good, I think I have gotten some really good and competent tips from all posters here!
smily_headphones1.gif

The 530s sound really nice in terms of laidbackness, the TF10Pros have gotten a lot of credit for airyness in other posts. UM3X have gotten a lot of credit for quality but maybe they are a bit closed for my purpose here. I haven't heard about the B&O ones yet, I will search around a bit.

But I'll admit I am gravitating towards the IE8s now..:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IE 8 is more airy and open than the TF10pro and SE530, partially because it doesn't actually seal and has a bass port that lets actual air into the driver compartment. Very good sense of space between instruments, and an extremely large soundstage.

IE 8s have very good, organic bass with weight, depth, and slam that isn't really approached (IMHO) by the armatures. And you can dial-in the bass response to your liking with the bass knob.

This sounds very very good. How much does the bass knob do? Can they go completely "flat" at the lowest setting? Do other parts of the sound change too?

Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the IE8 might be your best bet. No other IEM I've tried generates that airiness /spaciousness around instruments like they do. Since you don't seem to be wanting much isolation eithe, it seems to tip the IE8 more so in your favor. The IE8s are very detailed but the details don't quite come out and strike you they're more woven into the music. I have found that a shallow insertion with them increases among other things their airiness, clarity, sound stage,.............

This sounds a lot like an open version of my DT150s, and I love my DT150s...!

Aug 28, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by partysnatcher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This sounds very very good. How much does the bass knob do? Can they go completely "flat" at the lowest setting? Do other parts of the sound change too?

Not that flat, but it sounds somewhere in between the HD 600 and HD 650 at the minimum bass setting. There is some warmth in the midbass still present. The dynamic driver of the IE 8 lends to the tactile feel of its sound, and its semi-open design makes it a superior choice for airiness. The spaciousness of the sound complements the laid-back nature of its reproduction very well, making it extremely comfortable to listen to for long sessions (both sonically and physically). The only downside is the lack of isolation that a semi-open design brings to the table.

Aug 28, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not that flat, but it sounds somewhere in between the HD 600 and HD 650 at the minimum bass setting. There is some warmth in the midbass still present. The dynamic driver of the IE 8 lends to the tactile feel of its sound, and its semi-open design makes it a superior choice for airiness. The spaciousness of the sound complements the laid-back nature of its reproduction very well, making it extremely comfortable to listen to for long sessions (both sonically and physically). The only downside is the lack of isolation that a semi-open design brings to the table.

Thanks! And yeah, I have closed cans for isolation
biggrin.gif
I want air!
But can I ask what "setting" (say from 1-10, where 10 is max) you have the bass adjustor set on, on your IE8s?

Aug 28, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Thanks! And yeah, I have closed cans for isolation
biggrin.gif
I want air!
But can I ask what "setting" (from 1-10, where 10 is max) you have the bass adjustor set on, on your IE8s?

I had it set on 1 when I owned them. I'm not really a basshead, but I'm not really not a basshead (I really like the IE 8, and I also really like the "bass-light" Etymotic ER-4P/S).

Aug 28, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

All of these alternatives sound really good, I think I have gotten some really good and competent tips from all posters here!
smily_headphones1.gif

The 530s sound really nice in terms of laidbackness, the TF10Pros have gotten a lot of credit for airyness in other posts. UM3X have gotten a lot of credit for quality but maybe they are a bit closed for my purpose here. I haven't heard about the B&O ones yet, I will search around a bit.

But I'll admit I am gravitating towards the IE8s now..:

This sounds a lot like an open version of my DT150s, and I love my DT150s...!

You should seriously consider the B&Os Earphones - Bang & Olufsen with the Acoustibuds. I own Yuin PK1s, Beyerdynamics, AKG 702s with a Silver Dragon cable, UE 10s, and listen through Barefoot Monitors when not using headphones. I just recently gave the B&O a listen and while super in terms of clarity, they seemed a bit harsh and bright. With these Acoustibuds ACOUSTIBUDSâ„¢ Earphone Adapters | HOME | Fits Apple iPod and Bluetooth, Microsoft Zune, Sansa, Jawbone, and many more!they make me wish I had discovered these things before.

Anyway, all the suggestions are good. I've been listening all day to the B&O and I'm flabbergasted!

Aug 30, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #21 of 23
OP, it depends on what sound you would prefer, because laid back and airy are two totally different things and very few IEM's can provide both sounds. I would say get the se530's for laid back sound. UM3x has laid back sound because of its flatness in sound. I would suggest the IE8's for airy and opened sound. Can't call the Ie8's too relaxed because of their ample bass.

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #22 of 23
All right, I'd just like to check back to tell a little about what I ended up doing and how it ended up sounding.

Probably not unsurprisingly for people reading this thread, I went for the IE8s. I got a lot of good tips throughout this thread, and can't say I wasn't tempted with all of them. I just didnt't know enough about the B&Os to spend money on them, for instance. And the IE8s seemed pretty much to be exactly what I was looking for.

So I got the IE8s today, they are brand new and not burned in. My impressions so far:
The airyness is there for sure. They definitely hit the target in terms of airyness, no question. The sound does not feel contained, and it is a part of the air itself. Very good. As for being "laid back" / relaxed, I would say they fulfill that demand as well. More laidback than, say, Beyerdynamic DT150s or Ultrasone HFI-780s.

As for the sound, they aren't burnt in, and I haven't gotten used to the tips yet, which I notice right now is a huge deal. I know a lot of people have been commenting on the IE8 before giving it a chance. But I will make a quick sum-up anyway, for reference:

There are probably many nuances here to find the most neutral positioning of the tips. But for reference, here is a short description of the item as before burn-in:

- Using the smallest foam tips, bass adjustor set to "low"
- The middle of the highs stands out with a little detail peak, giving a slightly "tinny" sound to the top.
- A bit "cloudy" bass. I won't say the bass is "very present" at the lowest setting though, it is quite calm and .. well, puffy / cloudy.

Anyway.. I think this is a great basis before the burn-in; airy, "relaxed" sound, just like I asked for. Nice bass, not boomy at all. I might even turn up the adjustor a bit. Now for the burn-in..

Sep 8, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #23 of 23
All right, let me correct that.. these tips have an immense effect on the sound, as people have mentioned before.

They have a very different sound signature, and the distance from the end of the tip, to the mesh itself, is very different for each of them as well.

They go through everything from no bass (yes I'm serious) via medium bass + good detail to this cloudy bass / low detail thing I had with the "standard" tips. These standard tips seem to have the tightest seal and get the driver closest to your eardrum, which somehow gives a muddier sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back