Reinstallation help
Feb 21, 2009 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Navyblue

Headphoneus Supremus
A bit of background. My Vista SP1 installation is somewhat screwed up. When logged in as power user, when I tried to do stuffs that needs administrator right it would prompt for administrator password, when I keyed in the password, it would do nothing. This includes changing any setting or deleting files. I have to log on as administrator to do those stuffs. I also can't uninstall anything, even when logged in as administrator. Btw I have the latest update

I tried to uninstall the Zune software. And of course I can't do it the normal way. Thus I deleted the Zune related folders that I could find, and used CCleaner to clean up the registry. The Zune software no longer appear under the program list.

When I tried to re install the Zune software again, it doesn't get fooled, it basically says that I have the latest update and won't install.

What should I do?

Thanks.

Feb 21, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #2 of 10
Sounds like it might be checking for drivers or there are registry entries that CCleaner didn't get. Have you tried a manual search of the registry? I've not used Vista extensively, so I'm just making some educated guesses based on stuff I've seen on XP.

Good luck--
=V=

Feb 22, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #3 of 10
Ok, how do I do that?
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #4 of 10
I had the very same problem and found it to be impossible to fix directly. The Zune software installer won't work if the software is improperly removed even if you totally nuke it from the registry and delete all remotely related files. I even ran the installer through a debugger and traced all the file read/writes to attempt to find what it was checking, all to no avail. There are also no command-line arguments on the installer to force it to install. I installed the software on another machine and copied over its uninstaller, but the uninstaller thought that the Zune software wasn't installed. Go figure. Thus, you have a paradox that you can't uninstall it without first installing it, but you can't install it without uninstalling it.
angry_face.gif

Solution: I used another machine until Zune 3.1 was available, which installed fine since it was a newer version.

Feb 22, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #5 of 10
I tried regedit and removed all thing that I thought related to Zune and the outcome is the same.

I'd be screwed if I have to wait for Zune to be updated to use it again.

Feb 22, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #7 of 10
The proper way of removing program is not an option. And the improper way is neither easier nor more fun. But you are right, reformatting is a temporary fix.
biggrin.gif
Why can't we have an OS that doesn't break.

Feb 25, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #8 of 10
Use UNZOONE !!!! Try getting the latest version.
Remove-it.org > Tools > UnZoone

There is an official utility at microsoft download servers for removing unwanted programs. name: "Windows Clean" or something.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Next time you have problem with any administrative account in Windows, boot in Safe Mode and make a 2nd Administrator account. Test it before deleting the currently screwed account and boot back into your normal Windows setup.

Feb 27, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #9 of 10
The Unzoone didn't work, it seems that it only supports Zune up to version 3.0.

The utility from Microsoft won't even install.

When is version 3.2 coming?
biggrin.gif
Btw looking at past update history it seems that they have an update every few months, Version 3.1 is out on November 2008, if that meant anything the next update should due soon, that'll be my only hope I guess.

Mar 1, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #10 of 10
Just an update. I think I did it.

I managed to get the utility to work by unpacking the package and renaming one of the file in the package, as described in the readme file in it. Apparently it removed the the traces of Zune installation that prevented the Zune from installing, I am in the midst of Zune installation right now and it looks like its going to work.

Thanks Ricardo.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back