Regulated wallwart in Europe and BUF634 newbie advice
Apr 29, 2004 at 11:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

alexm

New Head-Fier
I've been searching in Italy for a 220V linear regulated wallwart similar to the popular Elpac for a PIMETA I'll be building (soon, I hope).
In RSComponents I found this: 400-7140 (Mascot 2083)
Does anyone think it might be comparable (in noise rejection) to the Elpac ? Or I'd better go for a TEPS ? Assembling a ps like the TEPS is tempting, but as it's my first audio diy project I'd like the building process as short as possible (to make sure I won't be giving up halfway
smily_headphones1.gif
).

On the subject of PIMETA, is there an electronics store (big preferably) in Europe that sells BUF634 DIP-8 ?
If nobody carries them I guess I can simply use the SO-8 ones together with adapters offered by Tangent, albeit with the slight hassle of soldering them to the browndogs (never solded SO-8 chips before).

Thank you a lot for any advices.

Apr 29, 2004 at 12:06 PM Post #2 of 21
the Mascot should be okay, and you can always upgrade to a TEPS later if you want. If it's your first project, it might not be a bad idea to not mess around with mains voltage as well!

As for the BUFs, I've never found the DIP part here, and going the SO8 route means it's hard (but not impossible) to stack the buffers. If you're genuinely stuck, get in touch with RS of TI directly and see if they can sort you out a small quantity, sometimes big companies are cooperative!

g

Apr 29, 2004 at 4:02 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Mascot 2083

Careful reading of the RS page shows that the 2083 series is a switch-mode supply. Not only do they tend to be a lot noisier than linear-regulated supplies, they are often not isolated, a fatal problem with any virtual ground type amp.

You'd have to step up to the 2183 instead. It has double the output current of the 2083, which you don't need, and it costs more, which you also don't need, but it's the right supply for the job.

An alternative is to buy an unregulated supply and follow it with a simple linear regulation circuit. This can be as straightforward as soldering a 7824 or similar IC to the inside of the DC input jack. If you want better performance, buy a Velleman K1823 and put that inside the amp case. Just bypass the diode bridge, and it becomes a plain regulator circuit instead of an AC-DC regulator.

Quote:

I can simply use the SO-8 ones together with adapters offered by Tangent, albeit with the slight hassle of soldering them to the browndogs

If you can muster the skill to solder the buffers to Brown Dogs, you can solder them straight to the PIMETA board and save the cost of the adapters.

May 1, 2004 at 3:59 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzzler
the Mascot should be okay, and you can always upgrade to a TEPS later if you want. If it's your first project, it might not be a bad idea to not mess around with mains voltage as well!

You sure have a point
wink.gif
, I hope anyway my long forgotten (basic) univ. classes will help preventing me from doing careless things. Besides, a relative of mine has quite a bit of experience in AC circuits, so I can resort to him if needed.

May 1, 2004 at 4:02 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ufokillerz
according to TI, http://www.ebv.com/home.phtml has them but you have to call

Thanks for the info. From their page it seems that the minimum order is 50 pieces ( if nothing else, I guess 25 stacked in each channel wouldn't fit a Hammond case
lambda.gif
), I'll give it a try anyway.

May 1, 2004 at 4:10 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent
Careful reading of the RS page shows that the 2083 series is a switch-mode supply.

Urgh, a switching supply ? Guess it was too good to be true
frown.gif

The 2183 is unfortunately even bulkier than the 2083. I really wish we had in Europe something closer to the Elpac.
Quote:

An alternative is to buy an unregulated supply and follow it with a simple linear regulation circuit...

Thank you for your helpful suggestions (and your detailed diy guides, without them I wouldn't have entered the diy world :> ). I'm going to follow them when I build my amp. If instead I feel bold maybe I'll go straight for a TEPS, after all I can always reuse it later with a PPA.

May 1, 2004 at 7:14 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

the minimum order is 50 pieces

If you buy 50, I'll bet you can get rid of the ones you don't need at a profit.

May 2, 2004 at 5:08 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by aos
How did you find that information? Searching www.rscomponents.com for 400-7140 or 2183 does not yield anything.

You can find it searching any of the european country-specific pages listed in the root page www.rs-components.com :
for example rswww.com (UK, central site).
As for USA, I see now that www.rs-export.com appears to be linked to the same database as well.

May 2, 2004 at 6:23 PM Post #12 of 21
Oh I see where the trouble is - I was looking at www.rscomponents.com, not at www.rs-components.com. Talk about misrepresentation...

I have posted a similar question a few weeks back and indeed 400-7140 is what I've written down in my notes as a replacement. I found nothing else but switching supplies, but I have not tried many European suppliers
directly so I would imagine there should be more, perhaps some company
that's not a big multinational carries a wider selection. 24V isn't that common so that's one part of the problem.

May 2, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #13 of 21
alexm, you can get DIP BUF634s at schuro.de or reichelt.de, but they only ship to Germany IIRC, so you have to know someone who can relay the package to Italy.
Digikey also carries them; however, the minimum order is 100 Euros if you don't want to pay 13 Euros for handling. Shipping is 18 Euros. They also carry Elpac, some models will accept an input range of 90-265 V AC, you only need a simple adaptor (about 1 Euro in a cheap hardware store) or you can solder on a European mains plug.

EDIT: Elpac input voltages.

May 2, 2004 at 7:00 PM Post #14 of 21
Well, I have the Mascot power supply, which powers my PPA. It's a Type 2083, 24V, 12W, 0.5A. As I discussed it before the purchase, it should be linear regulated.

I bought it from RS (Hong Kong branch), it's part no. 2083246000 (from RS catalogue).

Mascot is a Norwegian company, more info on http://www.mascot.com.

AC/DC desktop PS's: http://www.mascot.no/uk/nyeprodukter.asp?mod=28
Type 2083 info: http://www.mascot.no/pdf/2083new.pdf
Type 2183 info: http://www.mascot.no/pdf/2183e.pdf

As far as I understand from the description, the 24V version of 2083 should be linear regulated. Please correct me if I am wrong.

May 2, 2004 at 10:51 PM Post #15 of 21
i also use the mascot 2083 with my ppa, ordered at rscomponents. as far as i know it is linear regulated. a switching ps should have been far cheaper over here...
plainface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back