Regulated Power Supply for HEV70
Nov 19, 2005 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

neilvg

Headphoneus Supremus
Does anyone use a modified power supply for the HEV70? If so, what kinds of sonic differences do you notice and where can I get one?

I've noticed that this amp takes at least 30 min and up to a few hours to really shine... listening to this combo cold produces a very 'unbalanced' sonic presentation...

Neil

Nov 19, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 7
The problem is that Sennheiser uses a special connector between PS and amp. Otherwise it should be quite easy to find a more powerful PS. I don't have my HEV 70 here, but the adaptor is marked with an ampere spec. (and voltage). The upgrade adaptor should have 2-3 times greater current.

It is hard to know what will happen but similar upgrades have resulted in better control, increased smoothness and improved bass. I agree completely on the 'unbalanced' sonic presentation with a cold amplifier but doubt that a better adaptor will improve anything in this aspect.

The best is probably to wait for the Stax adapters and use a better amplifier.

Nov 20, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #3 of 7
Just get an Egmont amp from Rudi and your troubles will be over.

It sound great with both the Stax Omega's and the Baby O's. But it needs a change of tubes from the regular stock ones made in Russia. Am using the RCA 6SN7 black grey glass/Sylvania tall boys and the Mullard ECC83 and Valvo with great success.

Nov 20, 2005 at 10:48 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurus
Just get an Egmont amp from Rudi and your troubles will be over.

It sound great with both the Stax Omega's and the Baby O's. But it needs a change of tubes from the regular stock ones made in Russia. Am using the RCA 6SN7 black grey glass/Sylvania tall boys and the Mullard ECC83 and Valvo with great success.

Guru, can you comment on any specific difference you notice from a warmed up HEV70 and an Egmont (with your tube choice)?

I think the HEV70 sounds pretty good when warmed up, but pretty not so good when not warmed up... I'm sure adding tube bloom to the HE60's can be quite nice.

Neil

Nov 20, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg
Guru, can you comment on any specific difference you notice from a warmed up HEV70 and an Egmont (with your tube choice)?

I think the HEV70 sounds pretty good when warmed up, but pretty not so good when not warmed up... I'm sure adding tube bloom to the HE60's can be quite nice.

Neil

The main differences are:

The Egmont slows down the speed of the HE60 (good thing IMO), thus getting the harmonics and the tone right in the critical midrange and giving it the right timing in the midbass that the HE60 excel in (or have potentiial to excel in with the right amp).

Adds more body to the sound, call it 'tube bloom' or whatever but it removes the thin metallic sound that the HE60/HEV70 combo is infamous for- thus getting rid (almost) of all the sibilence that causes the pronounced 'SSSS'.

So the Egmont tube sound is more like your warmed up HEV70 sound that you like- except better-taking it a few steps furthur. And the best thing with tubes is that you can change the 'tube bloom'-tonality in my view- by tube rolling the Egmont. Tho I am done with buying anymore tubes, as I am throughly satisfied with my current setup.

And I have always enjoyed the soundstage presented by tube equipment. They produce an enveloping soundstage that is more dimensional with no gaps in between. It's like you are there and the singer is just crooning for you. Rich and romantic!

Just listen to any vocals- like Shirley Horn and Rabbi Shergill and you will get the message-instantly!

P.S. Don't get me wrong- the Egmont is no slouch-so don't take it out of context that it is a slow amp and slows everything down!

Nov 20, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurus
The main differences are:

The Egmont slows down the speed of the HE60 (good thing IMO), thus getting the harmonics and the tone right in the critical midrange and giving it the right timing in the midbass that the HE60 excel in (or have potentiial to excel in with the right amp).

Adds more body to the sound, call it 'tube bloom' or whatever but it removes the thin metallic sound that the HE60/HEV70 combo is infamous for- thus getting rid (almost) of all the sibilence that causes the pronounced 'SSSS'.

So the Egmont tube sound is more like your warmed up HEV70 sound that you like- except better-taking it a few steps furthur. And the best thing with tubes is that you can change the 'tube bloom'-tonality in my view- by tube rolling the Egmont. Tho I am done with buying anymore tubes, as I am throughly satisfied with my current setup.

And I have always enjoyed the soundstage presented by tube equipment. They produce an enveloping soundstage that is more dimensional with no gaps in between. It's like you are there and the singer is just crooning for you. Rich and romantic!

Just listen to any vocals- like Shirley Horn and Rabbi Shergill and you will get the message-instantly!

P.S. Don't get me wrong- the Egmont is no slouch-so don't take it out of context that it is a slow amp and slows everything down!

Thanks Guru, don't worry, I understand what you mean about the 'speed' being too fast with the HE60's. From previous conversations you alluded that they were a little too fast for your taste.

I'd love to hear what a good tube amp could do with the HE60's. The only other amp I heard them with is the Blue Hawaii and I wasn't too impressed at the time... but I did notice a luscious midrange warmth.

Neil

Nov 20, 2005 at 10:29 PM Post #7 of 7
I am heading for Europe and India in January so if you want to pay shipping I could probably loan you the Egmont for a month,if you can wait that long. No promises tho!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back