Regular VPI Scout or VPI Scout with JMW-9-Signature
Jun 1, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #2 of 10
The best value is buying one used. I believe Nixongod has one for sale at this time. I picked up mine used with the standard arm for half the price of new and it sounds great.

Jun 1, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by zer010gic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it really worth the extra $400 to upgrade to the Scout with the JMW-9-Signature arm over the regular model?

Corey

no it is not worth the upgrade on a scout that $400 is better spent elsewhere. I agree if you are going to buy a scout get one used. I would also match a brighter cart with this deck as well.

Jun 1, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get the ginko cloud 11 for vpi TT's.

Although I have not heard the signature arm, I SERIOUSLY doubt that it is as big of an improvement as the cloud.

I like the cloud as well and thought it was a good bang for the buck, hey how is the TT project going?

Jun 1, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the cloud as well and thought it was a good bang for the buck, hey how is the TT project going?

The project is going slowly. My problem is committing to a design, finding the tonearm i wanted, and distractions. I wanted a sumiko MMT because of the headshells, and built in fluid damping. My distractions are my other TT's.

Every time I decide on a plinth I look at it more and want a different one. Im pretty sure im going to go for a heavy plinth with rubber ball suspension.

Jun 2, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by zer010gic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So would going for a Scoutmaster instead with the standard arm be a better application of the funds.

Corey

probably or adding the $400 to your cart purchase, there are also other great tables out there as well.

Jun 2, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #9 of 10
Consider the Scout as a nice starter table, one that gets you hooked. The less you spend on it the better. Once you know the VPI sound and start to listen to other tables you can start to get an idea of what "sound" you want for your next table. I'm going vintage soon but am happy with my Scout in the mean time.

Jun 2, 2008 at 11:07 AM Post #10 of 10
I am already hooked on vinyl I have had a table before. It was just a old direct drive and I am ready for something with a little more to it. I don't care about the price really. I was mainly wanting a technical break down of whether the signature arm is that much better then the standard to warrant its price difference (I dont want to throw money away). At this point I don't care about used I have a budget in mind but its a some what nebulous thing thus I am after more technical answers.

What do these differences give you?

"The Signature version of the JMW-9 features a stainless steel bearing assembly, fine tracking force adjustment on the counterweight stem, Nordost Valhalla wiring in arm and junction box. It has 2.5 grams more effective mass for lighter cartridges of low compliance, a larger more solid design, variable pivot fluid damping, and mechanical anti-skate control. "

Corey

Users who are viewing this thread

Back