Regular cmoy amp w/ crossfeed or CHA 47?
Jan 26, 2002 at 7:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

FlurkingShnit

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys. I just got in contact with JMT and you're all right. He is real nice about his amps and stuff. I was just wondering. Is there any distinct advantage with going with the cmoy amp w/ meier crossfeed over the CHA 47? Is crossfeed a thing that I will most definitely want? Or is the CHA 47 amp just as good? JMT said that the CHA 47 was designed with Grados in mind, but also works good with all types of headphones. I will be using ONE of these JMT amps with a Ety ER-4P w/ conversion cable. Does either amp work BETTER with a 4S? Or are they just similar and all it comes down to is if I want crossfeed or not? I know that crossfeed is there to eliminate the "blobs in your head" soundstage. Is this technology worth it? Any feedback on the subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jan 27, 2002 at 6:19 AM Post #2 of 7
Humm, its really a matter of choice. Does listening to cans for a while give you headaches? If so then crossfeed might be for you. I personally don't need it and I don't like what it does to the sound. (wierd bass effects and such) But again some people here swear by it and listen to music with crossfeed on all the time.
It really comes down to trying it and seeing if you like it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Talk to JMT and see if he can let you try a CMOY with crossfeed first and if you don't like it you might be able to trade it in?
Again, this is something that you will have to work out with JMT.

Good luck.

Jan 27, 2002 at 6:33 AM Post #3 of 7
Personally, I don't like crossfeed, but as bootman said, there are many here who do. That said, I find the ER4P with 4S cable sounds better (to my ears) with the CHA47 rather than the straight cmoy. There's just a more dynamic sound.......more "presence", if you will. At least that's what I hear.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2002 at 6:37 AM Post #4 of 7
I only recently began discovering that the Cmoy and the CHA47 had different opamps in them...and like joe, I prefer the CHA47's brighter sound to the Cmoy's smooth sound. I wonder if it's possible to mate the CHA47's opamp with the rest of the stuff that makes up a Cmoy like the crossfeed, RCA inputs, 1/4th outputs, etc...

Jan 27, 2002 at 7:14 AM Post #5 of 7
There's a crossfeed plugin for winamp that you can download, at first I thought "Hey this is great!" but after a bit I switched back to normal.

You should try that out, I don't remember where it is though, at head-wize maybe they had it mirrored . . . dunno.

Jan 28, 2002 at 7:31 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
I only recently began discovering that the Cmoy and the CHA47 had different opamps in them...and like joe, I prefer the CHA47's brighter sound to the Cmoy's smooth sound. I wonder if it's possible to mate the CHA47's opamp with the rest of the stuff that makes up a Cmoy like the crossfeed, RCA inputs, 1/4th outputs, etc...

Actually, the opamps aren't that different. The CMOY has a OPA2134 with two channels while the CHA47's OPA4134 is the four channel version.

Basically, the CHA47 parallels two OPA2134s to double the current output capability and the OPA4134 allows to do this with only one chip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back