Regret being an audiophile?
Oct 7, 2005 at 5:13 AM Post #16 of 38
Not really, especially since the main thing head-fi did was get me to buy music... my audio reproduction purchases have really been pretty minimal (MX400, KSC75, TBAAM + HD201) so far. OK, I did drop $120 on a rebranded Ety Er-4p, but I'm not actually 100% sure if I will resell it or keep it so for now my conscience is eased.

Oct 7, 2005 at 5:17 AM Post #17 of 38
Yes. I liked it better when I could listen to anything and not give a damn if it was clear or accurate or whatever. Getting there, but still can't stand stock phones as I used to.

Oct 7, 2005 at 6:55 AM Post #18 of 38
I used to say that as long as I could hear the music, it's good enough.

Now, nothing ever seems to be good enough.

Where do I go to get my money back?
eggosmile.gif

Oct 7, 2005 at 10:08 AM Post #20 of 38
totally no regrets, i now have setups, that will see me through many situations for a loong time, all i need now is a 60gb iriver3xx and my life will be complete!

Oct 7, 2005 at 11:32 AM Post #21 of 38
Completely no regrets. I love music and I love when it is reproduced well. That being said, you do get spoiled with your stuff but you get used to hearing crap.

One example is when I recently went over a friends house to hear his "hi-fi" set up. Two Bose tower speakers hooked up to his TEAC reciever and his sony CD player. He was sooo happy. My mind kept saying "all highs and all lows!!". I smiled and told him it was nice and recommended he think of upgrading to "something more intune with current audiophile opinions". I referred him here. As soon as I got home I showered and listened to my setup. I sat back and smiled and sunk into my chair as the music overtook my every thought and I relaxed as it washed away all the stress of the day.

I love this hobby.
icon10.gif

Oct 7, 2005 at 12:38 PM Post #22 of 38
I'm still in uni so I guess I'd better stay ignorant until I get a high-paying job. I think I'd rather eat and go out than spend all my money on audiophile stuff which wouldn't be that good anyway given my limited budget.

Oct 7, 2005 at 4:03 PM Post #25 of 38
I must admit to looking at some of my co-workers listening to their cassette walkmen with their Coby headphones and REALLY enjoying the music and envying them. I have (although I don't consider myself an audiophile as such) caught myself listening to the gear rather than the music way too often.

Oct 7, 2005 at 4:10 PM Post #26 of 38
Not regrets exactly . . .

Being an audiophile isn't half bad, but the upkeep can be brutal.
rolleyes.gif

BW

Oct 7, 2005 at 4:12 PM Post #27 of 38
No regrets, it has: 1:Kept all my cars slow, plain, and allowed them to mellow into old age... 2:Kept my clothes shopping to a bare minimum, 3:resricted any new cameras from happening, so I can actually operate the ones I have without looking for the right button, 4:kept me out of the bars... 5:was a part of winning over my wife - she loved my music...

Oct 7, 2005 at 5:39 PM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
One example is when I recently went over a friends house to hear his "hi-fi" set up. Two Bose tower speakers hooked up to his TEAC reciever and his sony CD player. He was sooo happy. My mind kept saying "all highs and all lows!!". I smiled and told him it was nice and recommended he think of upgrading to "something more intune with current audiophile opinions".

Ahh, I have to congratulate you on your response. That was very skillful and worthy of emulation.

Oct 8, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #29 of 38
My rigs are at what I would call the lower mid-fi tier - not too terribly heavy on the family budget. Because of the excellent "sweet spot" tips that I have received from Head-Fiers such as Fewtch, Wodgy and Morsel (as well as the selflessly generous contributors to this community such as tigger, AOS, Grover and ppl), I have experienced so many moments of awe-inspiring, transporting beauty on my rigs, and have been so moved by the expressions of so many incredibly vast and creative souls using them that my entire audio pursuit and experience remains undarkened by even the faintest shadow of any regret. Delight and thanks are by far the prevalent facets of my pursuit of sound within my means.

Oct 8, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack
Because of the excellent "sweet spot" tips that I have received from Head-Fiers such as Fewtch, Wodgy and Morsel (as well as the selflessly generous contributors to this community such as tigger, AOS, Grover and ppl)...

The members you listed, and many more like them, contribute generously and regularly their knowledge on how to find, tweak, and enjoy great sounding gear for less than premium $$. This is a great "place" to hang out.

-coma

Users who are viewing this thread

Back