Reggie and the Full Effect, "Songs Not To Get Married To"
Apr 23, 2005 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

minya

Headphoneus Supremus
Oddly enough, I've listened to this album repeatedly over the past couple of days and I don't think I'm going to stop. It's pure brilliance.

Reggie and the Full Effect is some sort of emo-pop supergroup, I think, featuring members from Get Up Kids and Coalesce among others. But R&TFE are intentionally tongue-in-cheek; they're fully aware of the cliches and they revel in them. They also make good use of synthesizers, another thing that endears me to their music.

This latest album is ridiculously catchy and brilliant. It's like what The Killers would have sounded like if The Killers weren't a schlock talentless band propelled by the strength of one single.

Miraculously, every single song on this album is pure pop brilliance. The songs are short and sweet and none disappoint. I'm not sure what it is that makes me like this album so much, since I usually am not at all interested in poppy-punk-indie type of stuff, but this album pushes all my buttons, staying weird, ridiculous, and self-effacing enough to hook me into their pop songs.

Not to mention there's two awesome synthpop songs on the album and the second-to-last song, "Deathnotronic," featuring a German vocalist that rivals anything Rammstein ever done.

If you're a sucker for the current indie-pop-punk trend, give Reggie's new album a try. Because it's awesome.

Apr 23, 2005 at 10:28 AM Post #2 of 3
Actually the Coalesce member is also a member of the Get Up Kids (RIP) and it's basically his project. Although Pope from the Get Up Kids does also play on the album as a member of the band. Personally, I didn't find too much to like about the album except maybe track 2, forget the name. It's just that previous Reggie albums surpass the new one in every single category imaginable, except maybe the ROCK. This is the new serious Reggie and it pretty much shows. He just went through divorce and thats what 'basically' the whole album is about. Reggie used to be toungue in cheek but the second to last track like you mentioned feels to me more like he felt he had to put in an old joke (Common Denominator is featured on previous albums and is actually James Dewees just acting like a foreign metal vocalist) for the fans even though he wasn't feeling it.

Decent album and definitely more interesting than the Killers but check out their previous albums if this is the only one you have listened to.

Also, I feel there was a lot less use of the synth in this album. oh and all of the above of course IMO. haha

Apr 23, 2005 at 3:20 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the corrections.

Yeah, I've listened to their previous albums a while ago but they didn't grab me as much as this new one did. I'm gonna go back and re-listen since I'm enjoying this one so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back