Regards to the HF1s on Ebay (...this thread will magically disappear)
Apr 30, 2006 at 1:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

megawzrd

500+ Head-Fier
Why are the Forum mods continually wiping all existence of the Threads regarding the HF1s that are now on ebay? That is a disservice to the community and what the HF1s are about.

You have a private listing now on ebay because this guy was aware that we would inform his bidders that they were paying too much. If these are said #462 this would have been part of the last batch (raffle) and now are being sold in oposition to the spirit of what the HF1s should be about. I think people here should be aware of such things going on. Its not like we can do anything about his ebay auction at this point. I am not even going to drop the guys name...its being discussed in the official HF-1 serial list thread.

(this message will not exist longer than 30 mins. for magical reasons beyond my control)

Apr 30, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #2 of 28
I know that Todd felt slighted when called naive for the inital 450+ batch of HF-1s, but I must say, selling HF-1s to members who joined Apr. 2006 with 2 posts, probably isn't the most sound decision to make. *Shrug*

Apr 30, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #3 of 28
This really sucks. Those HF1's were meant by John Grado, to be sold to the members of Head-Fi. Yet those members who were lucky enough to get one are boosting the prices, and trying to make money by selling it off to those, who where unlucky or to other nonmembers through eBay and the likes.
mad.gif

Apr 30, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 28
In my opinion, you should sell them to anybody who is willing to pay. I don't think it's fair to judge based on posts.

Apr 30, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
In my opinion, you should sell them to anybody who is willing to pay. I don't think it's fair to judge based on posts.

While I agree with your opinion from a business wise perspective, I think that when you're making a limited batch of product that was meant for a specific limited audience (such in this case, HF-1 = Head-Fi Forum), it should stay that way. Anyone could have been informed of the limited edition headphones, and registered as a member and bought them, but never to be seen again on Head-Fi.

They really should have sold the headphones only to members with a reasonable amount of posts, proving that they're intentions are to be within this community, and not just registering to get the headphones.

Apr 30, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #7 of 28
I have been seeing discussion about the HF1 in general shut down for the most part lately...which is sad. it would be terrible if all discussion on such a good sounding and special headphone were shut down becuase of its potential for post warfare.
on the topic in general: actually, i declared on my Battle for Middle Earth thread that the HF1 craze had died out...and that from now on sales would be much more mild than before... i guess i was wrong on that count.

Apr 30, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by megawzrd
That is a disservice to the community and what the HF1s are about.

What is the HF-1 about, exactly. I was under the impression that it was about Grado and Todd giving back to the community and a way for Jude to raise funds to keep Head-fi in the black.

Reselling, profiteering and selling on eBay were never explicitly prohibited AFAIK (please cite me some references if I'm wrong). The only thing that was prohibited was members purchasing more than one pair, but that obviously hasn't stopped some people from amassing a small horde. But they're respectable head-fi members, so it's all right. Just as long as the unwashed newbies don't get their hands on them - for me, that's the ultimate irony of this whole debacle.

Apr 30, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceconvoy
The only thing that was prohibited was members purchasing more than one pair, but that obviously hasn't stopped some people from amassing a small horde. But they're respectable head-fi members, so it's all right. Just as long as the unwashed newbies don't get their hands on them - for me, that's the ultimate irony of this whole debacle.

Ka-ching.

Perhaps hypocrisy is a better word.

Apr 30, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Reselling, profiteering and selling on eBay were never explicitly prohibited AFAIK (please cite me some references if I'm wrong).

Actually, Todd did say he was disappointed with how the first run of HF-1 ended up on ebay and the general profiteering that went on. And he didn't want to see that repeated... not that he or anyone else can dictate what the purchaser does with the headphone after the purchase.

Apr 30, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #12 of 28
All I have to say is, I have not bought any high end headphone yet(only IEMS), and I wish I was here when the HF-1's were on sale. I understand your frustration, but I was not able to get them while they were on sale, so the reselling isn't a bad idea, as long as the price is reasonable.

Apr 30, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Reselling, profiteering and selling on eBay were never explicitly prohibited AFAIK (please cite me some references if I'm wrong).

Since you asked...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd
Here are the rules for ordering and conditions of sale.

5 And having lost my naivity I am strongly requesting that these NOT be sold outside of this community. Sell them here at Head-Fi if you elect but it will damage future possibilties if these turn up on e-bay or other sales channels.

Apr 30, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteShadow
All I have to say is, I have not bought any high end headphone yet(only IEMS), and I wish I was here when the HF-1's were on sale. I understand your frustration, but I was not able to get them while they were on sale, so the reselling isn't a bad idea, as long as the price is reasonable.

the HF1 isn't that high end, it's better than the UE, but at 200 i think a HD600 is a value. really, the only reason to pay so much for it is either your an audiophile collector type...or you really like that driver's particular sound (i, for one, love the sound).

Apr 30, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #15 of 28
The biggest reason I understood as to why Todd did not want them to be resold outside of the community is becuase of the chance for something like this to happen again is diminished. I am not trying to argue the price unless it is rediculous / profiteering. In the spirit of the HF1 why would you want to profit in the first place. Keep em in the community...pretty much just recover your investment if you want to sell em.

People were obviously talking about it and in a general sense angry about seeing such a thing..why silence their voices by deleting the thread?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back