Regards & help. shure 840 vs. ath-m50
Aug 24, 2009 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

zwitterion

New Head-Fier
Hi all!
First of all, let me introduce, my name is Enrique, I'm from Spain, sorry for my english.
Second, I'm completely surprised with this forum, a lot of people sharing their experience and knowledge to help others.

I was looking for a new headphones, and googling i arrived to head-if, I never could imagine that this wordl was so complex when I was only looking for a HP...
wink_face.gif

I need your help for the next:
I have read hundreds on threads, I have discovered a lot of HP brands, amps, etc. I have also read the stickys threads for newbies, buying guides, etc, but now I'm to decide and need your advice.

I want a closed headphones. After reading, I'm doubting between ATH-m50 and shure 840.
I don't want (by now) use an amp. I want to use it straight with my laptop, ipod, mobile, home amplifier o wherever i can use.
I like the rich, punchy, detailed sound. For example, in loudspeakers, now I'm using Focal JMLab (726 and 714) and really satisfied. Previously I was a JBL fan.
I've no opportunity to try these models. Here in Spain they're not easy to find, so I want to know your opinion.
I have found in ebay.com very good prices in the m50. I want to avoid fakes, of course, can you recommend a trusted ebay seller, authorised dealers regarding guarantee?

Thanks in advance.
Best regards from Madrid

Aug 24, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #2 of 15
Hey zwitterion,

Welcome to the forums! My personal recommendation so far is that the ATH M50 is a safer bet. First it is cheaper to get in Europe/Spain. Second it has not been surrounded by so much hype as the SRH840 has. I have the M50 and they are very good for the money. They are great all rounders, and sound great through my PMP or extrenal sound card.

I have also not heard of any fake ATH M50 yet, but I bought mine from ebay and they are the real deal. Prepare for the Shure fans to come here and tell you the SRH840 is amazing. At the same time, you might want to read some reviews of the ATH M50 on amazon.com and on gearslutz.com (site for pros, they compare them to some speakers...)

Your call and whichever you get hope you enjoy them.

Aug 24, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #3 of 15
well,i'm in the same dillema.I want a good closed headphone for my portable cd player.Someone recommended the sony mdr 7509hd,but i auditioned it and didn't like the sound(unnatural,weird sounding headphones)
I also didn't like the k271 mkii.

I also want to try the ath m50 but the local dealer told me that they will have some pairs after 15 of september...

I'm gonna try the shure 840 after a few days,to see if i like them.

Aug 24, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by john53 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well,i'm in the same dillema.I want a good closed headphone for my portable cd player.Someone recommended the sony mdr 7509hd,but i auditioned it and didn't like the sound(unnatural,weird sounding headphones)
I also didn't like the k271 mkii.

I also want to try the ath m50 but the local dealer told me that they will have some pairs after 15 of september...

I'm gonna try the shure 840 after a few days,to see if i like them.

I've read that the original 7509, before the HD, was the better model of the two sonys. Can you say what you didn't you like about the k271? Looking forward to your and other's impressions of the m50 and 840. I'm leaning towards the m50 myself, since it's cheaper and was equally well received when it first came out...either that or the T50RP.

Aug 24, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #5 of 15
Lejaz, thought you had already made up your mind...
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #6 of 15
No...still waiting for a bargain on ebay. I didn't bid high enough on the old T40's so I lost them. I also missed some old T20's which went for $86. Also I don't know if I want the headphone with more bass or the one with less(you know which is which :)). I'm very confused about the bass issue, since people told me the RP21 had good, not over done bass, and I find it way too much on many rock/pop songs. Norah Jones songs have way too much bass with those hps...I can't believe she would want her songs sounding that bass heavy. On the other hand my 240DF has too little bass. For now I just eq out some of the bass on the RP21 when using my Sansa Clip. Whether I get the m50 or the Fostex, or something else, will probably come down to the price. If I find either one cheap enough, I will probably go with that one. I really hate buying blind(deaf?)

Aug 24, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by lejaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read that the original 7509, before the HD, was the better model of the two sonys. Can you say what you didn't you like about the k271? Looking forward to your and other's impressions of the m50 and 840. I'm leaning towards the m50 myself, since it's cheaper and was equally well received when it first came out...either that or the T50RP.

Well,i listened to the k271 for a few minutes only,and it's not really fair to make a conclusion this way.Anyway,i didn't like the comfort very much,and second,i found it to be a bit unnatural,it didn't have the sound signature i'm looking for.
It wasn't bad,i prefered it to the sony 7509hd,but i want something warmer,with better clarity and imaging,and a bit sweeter highs,(it was a bit harsh,but not something to really worry about)

I don't know about the 7509(no hd)version(never had a chance to listen to it)

But please,don't take my word so serious,if you like the k271 then you're fine.I just want something different.Maybe i don't like closed cans.
I tried the k601 out of my portable,and it sounded really nice.Good timbre,imaging,open airy sound,good detail,nice vocal presentation,overall good sounding cans,even out of my discman.Only problem was the volume(my portable had a little difficulty with the volume)

Aug 24, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #8 of 15
Welcome.

FWIR...

The M50 is now fairly well established and received on Head-Fi as a quality buy with relatively few detractors.

The SRH840 is new with somewhat mixed reviews (posts), a classic FOTM candidate. But that is not to suggest some would not prefer it to the M50 if compared. Would you prefer the SRH840? Who knows? The safer bet would be the M50 because it is so widely appreciated. If buying somewhere with a favorable return policy, the SRH840 may be worth a try.

Aug 24, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by john53 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well,i listened to the k271 for a few minutes only,and it's not really fair to make a conclusion this way.Anyway,i didn't like the comfort very much,and second,i found it to be a bit unnatural,it didn't have the sound signature i'm looking for.
It wasn't bad,i prefered it to the sony 7509hd,but i want something warmer,with better clarity and imaging,and a bit sweeter highs,(it was a bit harsh,but not something to really worry about)

I don't know about the 7509(no hd)version(never had a chance to listen to it)

But please,don't take my word so serious,if you like the k271 then you're fine.I just want something different.Maybe i don't like closed cans.
I tried the k601 out of my portable,and it sounded really nice.Good timbre,imaging,open airy sound,good detail,nice vocal presentation,overall good sounding cans,even out of my discman.Only problem was the volume(my portable had a little difficulty with the volume)

Sounds like the k271 has similar shortcomings to the k240S....not a terrible headphone by any means, but I'm spoiled by the 240DF which is a lot better. I would have purchased the m50 ages ago, but I'm a little afraid I'll wind up with something all too similar to the RP21. I haven't read any reviews where the two are compared. It's pretty much the same with the Fostex. I haven't read any comparisons to any headphones I've heard myself. Ideally I would want a low impedance headphone that will sound as transparent as the k240DF but with better bass...that I can use with my Clip...and for under $100! Probably an impossible quest. In the meantime the RP21 sounds pretty good with some bass eq'd out and the foam pads removed. I gave my v6's to my girlfriend...she loves them.

Aug 25, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #10 of 15
I just tried the M50's today for the first time. They were broken so i could only use one side (the other wouldnt swivel, i guess it was put on backwards) but they were pretty great. Even through just one ear i could make out a lot of stuff i never had before. They seemed pretty balanced, nothing REALLY stood out to me as over emphasized except for maybe the sub 80hz range but this was over powering, just more than i was used to. They were fairly light compared to some other full size ones i used and the pads were pretty comfy. I have not tried the Shures but they are significantly more expensive so if that matters to you then keep that in mind

Aug 31, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #11 of 15
Hi Guys,

finally, after read thousands of opinions I bought m50.
Just received (4 days usa 2 spain) and listening to them.

I've tried with a little marantz amp, pc and ipod.

Outstanding.

Really satisfied
darthsmile.gif

thanks all

Aug 31, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #12 of 15
Happy you liked them!

Enjoy your music!

Sep 1, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by redlinez33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My initial impressions of the ATH-M50 vs SRH840 is the ATH-M50 is more in your face. The SRH840 is VERY laid back headphone.. I have only had the ATH-M50 on my head for 30mins, so I wont comment any more than that..

Hmm,i like this "very laid back" comment...
I think this can be the headphone i'm looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back