Rega Saturn vs Meridian G08: what are the sonic differences?
Aug 22, 2007 at 7:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 95

daltonlanny

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello all,
To all who have owned both, or compared them head-to-head:
I was just wondering what the sonic differences are between the Rega Saturn and the Meridian G08?
Thanks!

Aug 22, 2007 at 10:03 AM Post #2 of 95
I think I have said in many of my previous posts, the difference between G08 and Saturn is a different in kind and not a difference in degree. ie different people will pick different 'winner' wrt their own systems. Collaterally speaking, the different between Apollo and Saturn is a difference in degree and not a difference in kind.

I hope that's a good explanation
wink.gif

Aug 22, 2007 at 10:19 AM Post #3 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I have said in many of my previous posts, the difference between G08 and Saturn is a different in kind and not a difference in degree. ie different people will pick different 'winner' wrt their own systems. Collaterally speaking, the different between Apollo and Saturn is a difference in degree and not a difference in kind.

I hope that's a good explanation
wink.gif

What he means in normal english is that the g08 and the rega are equally detailed but they both have their own sound signature. it is just preference and one might sound better in YOUR system then the other.

To be short: same level, different sound.

Aug 22, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #5 of 95
If they are at the same level sonically, then the Rega Saturn would be a much better bargain, considering that the retail on the Meridian is approaching $4,000.00, and the Saturn is $2,395.00, but can be had for much less.
On the other hand, the Meridian does have balanced outputs, but that is still a HUGE price difference!

Aug 24, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #6 of 95
I've heard both extensively, but have spent substantially more time with the Saturn. If you search you can find my G08 review and I've posted mini reviews about the REGA in the Saturn thread.

Saturn
:
great PRAT
good dynamics (both micro and macro better balanced between the two unlike the G08)
a very natural, organic and musical player
slightly more upfront
large soundstage
in a nutshell it does everything the G08 does without the "overkill" or "unnaturalness."

G08
focus on micro dynamics and mostly devoid of macro dynamics
over processes the music to the point it sounds unnatural, yet still beautiful.
silky smoothness overkill
separation overkill to the point of unnaturalness
recesses vocals and other main instruments at the sake of improved micro details
at times can seem lethargic
larger soundstage
If I listened to large orchestras, big bands or classical music a lot more I probably could better appreciate some of what the G08 offers, but still I don't think it sounds natural and somehow someway changes what the producer and engineer intended things to sound like, IMO.

Aug 24, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #7 of 95
The choice of interconnect affected the sound of my G08. With the Rudistor IC I got a nice presentation, plenty of sparkle and bottom end, but it was somehow lacking something. I didn't know what this was until I switched to my MI-330. Suddenly the G08 came to life.

It's hard to describe, but the sound just became more musical. More groove? I had to swap back and forth a few times to convince myself. The MIT cable has a more transparent effect, making your think there is no cable. This could explain why some people find the G08 laid back and unnatural. Hard to say...but something to consider. In terms of what 909 said, the macro dymanics were improved, though perhaps still not to the level of PRAT-renowned players. I've never heard the Saturn.

I've thought of a getting an even better IC for the G08, but am now looking at balanced, so I'll save the cash for that upgrade.

Aug 24, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #8 of 95
When I had the G08 I used my M-Paths once then only the Cardas Golden References which TTVJ included and it did make a noticeable difference for the better.

Aug 24, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #11 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rega saturn compared to the Meridian G08 is like comparing Ronald McDonald to Genghis Khan...
tongue.gif

one was a Ruler of Rulers and the other was a clown..hey atleast with the Rega you could possibly get some really fun animal shaped balloons...
rolleyes.gif

Who's to say ol' Ronald couldn't take down the Mongol Master by stuffing him full of trans fat and cholesterol
wink.gif

Aug 24, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #13 of 95
and with the Saturn's starship enterprise transport lid it should be a big hit with the little kiddies.
tongue.gif

if you do get the opportunity to demo it more extensively and at your place, the Saturn should at least have 400 hours on it to ensure it's operating at it's best and, of course, is warmed up too. the G08 certainly has a slightly better focus and overall a more refined sound, but at the same time it lacks soul among other things and i just could never get over those things so i never could bring myself to buy one.

Aug 24, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #14 of 95
oh..geez..let billy have his G08
k1000smile.gif

It's probably a right fit for his system, with tube pre, tube amp; G08 brings back the focus his system sorely needs
wink.gif

Aug 24, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #15 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh..geez..let billy have his G08
k1000smile.gif

It's probably a right fit for his system, with tube pre, tube amp; G08 brings back the focus his system sorely needs
wink.gif

this thread is like...

the point is the rega at best is nice mid-fi..the meridian is highend. it sounds cocky but its truth...
there are better then high end being exotic-fi or something but the Rega is simply mid fi

they are two different class products, like an NAD 542 compared to a Wadia 302..not going to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back