Rega Saturn CD player
Nov 24, 2011 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

googleli

Headphoneus Supremus
Currently looking for a source for my Liquid Fire LCD3 setup in my office. Do you think the Rega Saturn is up to par for this job?

Nov 24, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #2 of 6
I'm using a Rega Saturn in my main 2-channel Linn stereo, and the Saturn is fantastic!  Prior to acquiring the Saturn, I was using a Pioneer BDP-51FD as a CD transport into my Linn AV5103 DAC, and while the Pioneer and Rega are in different leagues, I'll state the obvious that the Saturn was an incredible upgrade.  My ears (and my wife's) heard noticeably more detail and separation across all frequencies.  I had been previously skeptical of high-end CD players like the Saturn, but I'm now a believer in their merits. 

For reference, my Linn system consists of the AV5103 processor, 3 Aktiv AV5105 amps, and AV5140 Aktiv loudspeakers. I'm using the analog outs on the Saturn.

No doubt you'd gain similar results in a resolving headphone system like yours.

I'll be curious to hear others' opinions. 

Nov 27, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks guys. :)

Now I just need the Liquid Fire to complete my office rig for the LCD3. :)

Jan 2, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 6
The Saturn is a great CD player. Laid-back, articulate, easy to listen to.
I just spent most of the afternoon comparing the Saturn to the same CDs ripped on a Mac mini, Arcam rDAC using USB, iTunes with Bitperfect software set at 2X oversample.
Lots of A-B testing. I think I've finally achieved the equal of the Saturn.
I haven't done a lot of comparative listening between my 16/44 rips and my HDtracks versions, but so far, the HD 24/88 and 24/96 versions seem a bit more open and realistic.
More to come ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back