Rega R5 & Brio3, need pricing advice
Aug 16, 2013 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Maximus112358

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm hoping some of you would have the necessary knowledge of Rega speaker market to help me make an offer to buy some used one.

A coworker lent me some Rega R5 loudspeakers and a Brio3 amplifier. I love them. They're in great condition (as far as my ears can tell). He asked me to make an offer if I want to keep them... I'd like to keep them, but I have no clue whatsoever about the value of the kit. If I remember well, I think he said the speaker pair was around $1800 new. Not sure. Anyway.. that's why I'm here begging for help.

Thanks,

Max

Aug 18, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #3 of 5
From what I've seen on Audiogon, usually used equipment seems to average around 50% of the original retail price depending on age, condition, and desirability. In this case, the speakers are about a generation behind the latest model, so it would probably sell for less than 50% retail. The same applies for the amp.

Aug 18, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #4 of 5
@Lenni: Thanks, I have posted on Audiogon. Post approval pending...

@yage: Ok, thanks.. he just found his original invoice... I'll see tomorrow how much he paid exactly... I never intended to pay this much for speakers.. but I don't think I could let them go so easily either.

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #5 of 5
I would probably offer around $1050 - $1150 for the speakers and amp.

I was able to pick up a pair of R3s and the Mira 3 amp for $1500 a number of years ago. The speakers were old stock (the RS series had just been released) and the Mira 3 was a dealer demo unit.

I think a fair price for the Brio 3 would be about $300, and the R5s maybe $750 or $850. 

I haven't been able to find any links with regard to pricing info, but I do remember that the R-series was a little bit cheaper than the RS-series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back