Rega Planet Vs. Tube CD Players (Bada HD19)
Aug 16, 2007 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

M0T0XGUY

Headphoneus Supremus
Ever since my Kenwood DP-1100 II broke down (haven't updated the sig yet), I've been relying on a trusty portable CD player, a Sony D-10, to play my collection, which despite having great build quality sounds rather tinny and lifeless. I started another thread awhile back looking for warm, analog sounding CD players, and it seems as though most people suggested that Rega's line of products be what I purchase. However, I can't help but think that a tube-based CD player, such as the Bada HD19, would have a warmer sound than most solid state CDP's, although I can see how this would be a simple misconception.

Anyway, I'm basically wondering if I should stick with my gut and buy the highly recommended Rega Planet, or opt for a tube based variant such as the one I referenced in this thread.

Thanks in advance for your replies,
Nick

Aug 16, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #3 of 13
I couldn't be happier with my Planet. Go for it!

Aug 16, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #4 of 13
As a side question, I also noticed that there appears to be two versions of the Planet, I'll call the first one the "regular" version, and the second one is known as the Planet 2000. If I remember correctly, the disk tray on the regular Planet is located on the left side of the unit, while the 2000's disk tray is positioned directly in the middle of the player. I don't know whether there are any differences in sound quality between them, but the Planet 2000 usually goes for about a 100 bucks more than the standard Planet, which would suggest that the former model is in fact better. Am I correct with this assumption?

Aug 16, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #5 of 13
The original Planet is older, the Planet 2000 like it's name suggests was introduced around 2000 so both are older designs. I've not heard the original Planet but Rega's design goal was for a more analog sound, while many people loved the player it received some criticism for taking it a bit too far. The Planet 2000 was the companies answer to the critics and was much better received although there is still a significant faction of end users that prefer the original.

I've owned the Planet 2000 and it was a nice player, it didn't quite meet my expectations in some respects but is a very listenable player. I upgraded to a MiniMax CD player which has a tube output stage. I regret selling that player to this day because it balanced the detail and resolution with a touch of warmth and the degree to which could be customized to personal preference through tuberolling. Don't take this as an endorsement for the Bada though because tubes can be implemented differently in every design so what worked for the MiniMax might not for Bada.

Aug 16, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I started another thread awhile back looking for warm, analog sounding CD players, and it seems as though most people suggested that Rega's line

Don't make the mistake of getting what "most" people suggest. If I did that, I would not be fulfilled like I am now. I'd have a HD650 out of a Meridian G08 with a Raptor or singlepower amp.
tongue.gif
- And I'd be miserable he he kidding...sort of.

Audition what you can - there must be audio dealers locally.

I personally prefer tube players to non tubes simply for the reason you mentioned a more analog sound. No matter how warm some players sound, they never get that sound unless they have tubes even if they hit the technical marks, but that's my preference. It may not be yours. Definitely try to hear them for yourself first.

Aug 16, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #7 of 13
And suddenly, doubt has set in once more.
frown.gif
The Planet is still on my short list, but for now, it looks like I'm headed in the direction of tube CD-Players, as it seems that they do provide a generally warm sound as I suspected. Elnero, is the MiniMax you talked about still in production (I assume it's not), as it sounds like just what I'm looking for in a CD player, with detail and warmth well balanced.

EDIT: Meh, it's a bit out of my modest price range, but maybe a few upgrades later I'll pick one up used.
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

And suddenly, doubt has set in once more.
frown.gif
The Planet is still on my short list, but for now, it looks like I'm headed in the direction of tube CD-Players, as it seems that they do provide a generally warm sound as I suspected. Elnero, is the MiniMax you talked about still in production (I assume it's not), as it sounds like just what I'm looking for in a CD player, with detail and warmth well balanced.

EDIT: Meh, it's a bit out of my modest price range, but maybe a few upgrades later I'll pick one up used.
biggrin.gif

Yes, it is still in production as you presumably found out and as noted is quite a bit more expensive than the other players you're looking at. One bonus to the MiniMax though is it has a relatively decent internal Headamp which adds to its value. Unfortunately the price has really jumped on them since I owned mine so even used they tend to be more expensive than what I paid new.

Sep 16, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #9 of 13
I haven't heard the Planet, but other tube cdps such as the Jolida and Shanling players are really good for the money. Audiophile review sites don't always rate them favorably and the build quality isn't the best, but the SOUND from what I heard was really pleasing on both for under 1k.

Sep 16, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't make the mistake of getting what "most" people suggest. If I did that, I would not be fulfilled like I am now. I'd have a HD650 out of a Meridian G08 with a Raptor or singlepower amp.
tongue.gif
- And I'd be miserable he he kidding...sort of.

Audition what you can - there must be audio dealers locally.

I personally prefer tube players to non tubes simply for the reason you mentioned a more analog sound. No matter how warm some players sound, they never get that sound unless they have tubes even if they hit the technical marks, but that's my preference. It may not be yours. Definitely try to hear them for yourself first.

Most of the time tube amps and cdplayers have more body and more space between the voices and instruments. especially the body part is quite hard to achieve with transistors, mostly they sound "thin".

Sep 16, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #11 of 13
Somehow this thread got bumped from the very depths of the Dedicated Source Components forum, but its actually a rather timely update as I'm still searching for a good CD player that's just as liquidly and warm as the vinyl rig I'm attempting to emulate.

In any event, I think by now I've come to the realization that a tube based player will best suit my listening preferences and sonic goals, so now its only a matter of selecting the one that fits into my price range and looks pretty sexy too.
icon10.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Somehow this thread got bumped from the very depths of the Dedicated Source Components forum, but its actually a rather timely update as I'm still searching for a good CD player that's just as liquidly and warm as the vinyl rig I'm attempting to emulate.

In any event, I think by now I've come to the realization that a tube based player will best suit my listening preferences and sonic goals, so now its only a matter of selecting the one that fits into my price range and looks pretty sexy too.
icon10.gif

IMO I like the look of the Shanling players (CD300 & SCD300) and the Bada players, like you mentioned. If I could afford the Shangling CDP's I would get one in a heartbeat. Nevertheless, the Bada players are actually in my price range..

I am highly considering the Bada HD19, like you, and after reading a review on its older brother (HD22 [+$150]) it is solidly built (over 20lbs), and the sound competes with the Jolida JA100 (I think that's the model number; the $1,000 player) when modded.

http://www.pacificvalve.us/ReviewIndex.html (click on Affordible Audio, next to the Bada HD22 link, there's a nice review there)

Hmm.. for $350 new, the HD19 looks like a winner for a tube CDP. Is there any other tube CDP out there for this price?

-Nick
600smile.gif

Jan 18, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #13 of 13
Dear Intended BADA HD 19 C D DAC Purchaser,

​I just Ordered The BADA HD 19, in 240 Volts for AUSTRALIAN Conditions  , From XIANGSHING AUDIO  of CHINA, I have Also ordered The DAC  Tube Unit From The Same Guy, And Expecting The Delivery by The Middle of February 2015, , I have Spoken to Mr: Yong LEE Personally, and he is a Great Guy to Deal with, and Gives me Good attention , and advise. I also Purchased a MUSIC ANGEL XDSE PUSH PULL TUBE AMP from PRIMEAMP of HONGKONG,  And The AMp is well Built, and have sent the Amp to Modify it , To Run KT88 on The OUTPUT MODE, I have trouble getting answers from PRIMEAMP , As The Amp Uses 5 X 6Ni on the Input Mode and 8X EL34 on The Power Output Mode, I have Changed The 8 Caps to a Better Quality Caps and Changed the Tube Bases to GOLD PIN BASES,  and I need to Replace the 2 Mains Transformers and The 2 POWER OUTPUT Transformers to Use Kt ** or Kt120 on The Output Mode, and Change The 5 X 6NI Tubes  and Replace Them with 12AX7 on The INPUT Mode and once completed, I will get at Least 100 Watts Per Channel  in LINEA Mode and around 50 to 60 Watts Per/Channel in Class A Triode Mode.  I am still waiting on Answers from PRIMEAMP in REFERENCE to The 4 Transformers, 
They arr a Little Slow in CUSTOMER Service. I got all The Answers From Mr: Yong LEE in Reference to The DAC Unit and The Dac CD Player, within just a Few days,
Thats The Reason that I recommend MR: YONG LEE from XIANGSENG of CHINA, and have no hesistation in Recommending his Products, as I can rely on His Services.
Kind Regards
Francis Jansz
My Technicians Name X of HARMON KARDON /JBL/DYNACO. And HAFLER, will be doing all the Modifications here in AUSTRALIA for me, 
His Name is MR: Peter Gay, his e,mail is:  peter.gay@gmail.com.au
And should you Purchase any Chinese Tube Amps or Hi Fi Equipment, I will highly recommend Peter to do The Modifications and he will get you The Very Best results from The Chinese Amps and other HI Fi Equipment. My AMP Modifications Will cost me Around $1,250 to modify it and get the very best results, I paid $ Au including Shipping for The Amp $:AU 984,00.  And once all the work is Complete It can be Compared with The Top of The Range worth around $: 10,000 to around $14,000 AU Dollars.
Kind Regards
Francis 9SMOKEY) JANSZ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back