rega planet 2000
May 21, 2003 at 2:24 PM Post #17 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
Incidentally I happen to be auditioning one myself right now as part of a source swap audition with pigmode. I'm really glad I decided to retry a Rega...this time around I'm hearing much better what Rega is all about. I find myself digging it much more this time around.

Vertigo,

That's an interesting development! I guess the Rega's musicality has caught up with you. Great.
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way: at 1500 US-Dollars, the Audio Note AN CD2.1x is a true giant killer. The only integrated CDP I have ever heard that's better than the CD2.1x is the CD3.1x at 2500 Dollars. To my ears, non-oversampling, digital-filter-less players are so dynamic, resolving, timbrally accurate and emotionally engaging, that they simply tower above the competition. I guess they are "way better" to my ears.
wink.gif

If any of you has the opportunity to listen to an Audio Note CDP or DAC: do it. Please.

May 21, 2003 at 2:59 PM Post #18 of 51
screwdriver: I've owned the planet, planet 2000, and now have a jupiter 2000. At the price your talking, jump on the rega. I also had a philips 963, I never listened to sacd, but on redbook cd's I think the rega planet 2000 is much better. As far as the jupiter vs. the planet the jupiter is a much less forgiving player. It has greater slam, dynamics and control of the music. I never really considered either of the regas as super detailed players.(although not lacking) Lately I've had the jupiter in a system with an ASL OTL32 amp and a pr. of cd-3000 and this combo sounds awesome. Anyway, buy the rega.

May 21, 2003 at 3:30 PM Post #19 of 51
Right, the one thing I liked about the Planet 2000 is it's sense of tone, which was very sweet. The Phillips, OTH, comes up short in that area. There is something missing or slightly off kilter. Of course, the rega costs twice as much, so the comparison is unfair to begin with. Judged on its own, the phillips is a sweet deal.

Quote:

To my ears, non-oversampling, digital-filter-less players are so dynamic, resolving, timbrally accurate and emotionally engaging...

Agreed. I love my Shigaraki DAC and plan to get the transport soon. My experience with the non-oversampling, digital-filter-less concept is that is that it gets the tone right. The sound is rich and full, not overly soundstagey or flashy in the upper registers. I think the whole movement to upsampling caters to different and more mainstream sonic goals.

May 21, 2003 at 3:43 PM Post #20 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
I love my Shigaraki DAC and plan to get the transport soon.

I have never heard the 47Lab components, but I bet they are a music lover's delight. Congratulations!

May 21, 2003 at 3:55 PM Post #21 of 51
Pigmode: are you using the Rega as a transport with your Shigaraki? Is it the model 4715 DAC? What are the major differences between the DAC, and the rega on it's own? Thanks.

May 21, 2003 at 4:06 PM Post #22 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by tom hankins
I never really considered either of the regas as super detailed players.(although not lacking).

True. My NAD C 541i exhibits much more detail than the Planet, however, it's at the expense of the "musicality". The NAD as well as my Sony 555 ES have that rough digital edge that drives me to listen to redbook on my Planet or my turntable/LPs. I love the rich tonality of the Rega. I'm listening to Weather Report's Mysterious Traveler on the Planet as we speak, and it sparkles.

May 21, 2003 at 4:25 PM Post #24 of 51
RickG: Your right about the Rega's. I'm on my third. If you like the planet you really need to try the Jupiter. It takes the planet way to the next level. A guy I no say's the planet 2000 out performs his jupiter/Io combo, but I personally have never heard the early jupiters.

May 21, 2003 at 9:22 PM Post #25 of 51
Quote:

I love the rich tonality of the Rega. I'm listening to Weather Report's Mysterious Traveler on the Planet as we speak, and it sparkles. [/B]

It looks like you have both the Rega and the 963SA. How do they compare? Thanks.

May 21, 2003 at 9:29 PM Post #26 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
Thanks.

With the demise of my late Phillips SACD 1000, I mourned the loss of its SACD function. The Shigaraki has cured that and I am no longer seeking an SACD player.

I can say the same thing about the Electrocompaniet. SACD is not for me anytime soon. I am totally out of the market for a CDP for the next 8-10 years with what I am listening to now. The Electro does upsample to 24/192, but WOW does it do so in a way that just leaves you stunned at how good upsampling CAN sound when done right. The reviewer at Stereo Times got it right when he spoke so highly of this unit.

May 22, 2003 at 3:30 AM Post #27 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by tom hankins
Pigmode: are you using the Rega as a transport with your Shigaraki? Is it the model 4715 DAC? What are the major differences between the DAC, and the rega on it's own? Thanks.

The Shigaraki is the more affordable version of the 4715 DAC, and the Planet 2000 is my interim transport. The Shigaraki has a much sweeter tonal presentation, and has much more in the way of detail. The leading and trailing edge of notes are noticably fuller, and it is really in another league from the Rega. Actually, the Rega was a perfect match for my W2002 where it was able to fill out the mids, and tame the highs, otherwise it is just a mite too polite for my taste. To be honest, I should have tried some silver cables, which I am sure would go a long way towards optimizing the Rega sound.

Quote:

It looks like you have both the Rega and the 963SA. How do they compare?

The 963 is a nice player, but it leans a bit to the HiFi side of the sonic spectrum. It doesn't fill out the sound quite like the Rega does, although it does have a more detailed and soundstagey sound. The Rega seems to have a blacker background, which to me is important.

May 22, 2003 at 6:38 AM Post #28 of 51
My first real system has burned in for about 125 hours now, and I'm not as stunned as I thought I would be. I like everything; the Planet 2000 seems great, though its my first player and I can't compare, and I have a feeling that if anything is "wrong" it is the headphones--hd600s. Everything sounds good, but it's just not the sublime experience I expected. Also, I was surprised by distortion, particularly in the cymbals, on some of my favorite albums such as Jorane's 16mm and Mogwai's Rock Action. Is that sort of thing to be expected? And has anyone had any kind of experience with HD600/Planet 2000 synergy?

I thought I'd post in this rare Planet thread and see if I got help. I might make a thread elsewhere if it doesn't work out, though, as it is somewhat off topic.

However, I wanted to say that I have a feeling that I'll be keeping my new Planet for a very long time, though my vague dissatisfaction voiced above probably doesn't seem very convincing. Sorry.

May 22, 2003 at 7:06 AM Post #29 of 51
Guardian,

The Senn 600s are harsh on the top-end. You are just now hearing that harshness as that player is feeding your cans a decent signal that is not being reproduced very well.

May 22, 2003 at 8:42 AM Post #30 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by grohan
It looks like you have both the Rega and the 963SA. How do they compare? Thanks.

I like the upsampling option of the 963A for rounding out the edges of older/inferior recordings, but I generally play current redbook CD's on the Rega or the NAD C 541i...(Rega being my favorite).

The Rega and NAD just seems to render a more musical image. However, I really dig the SACD performance of the 963A...even more than my Sony 555ES...+ the DVD picture (963A) just kicks booty!

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back