Rega Planar P3+Grado Gold cart possible issues
Oct 30, 2006 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

gloco

Only one ban in 5000 attempts!
Hey Guys,

I finally got a replacement cartridge from Grado last week and quickly went home and installed it. The original cart had a bent stylli and Grado was kind enough to send me a brand new one (as far as I can tell...it looks immaculate unlike the one I sent in for repairs).

First thing I noticed...the cartridge hangs way too low close to the record to the point where it looks like it can easily bang or rub against a record. I don't recall having this issue with the previous gold cart. The stylli almost appears that it needs to be straightened out...I need to upload a pic so you can see it. It was shipped back to me properly, so I don't think it was damaged during shipping. It had a plastic guard over it to protect it.

Second thing, well...honestly...it doesn't sound all that warm and yummy with my speaker rig: Yamaha RX-V493>Rega R1 speakers. I'm using the Yamaha's phono preamp...its worked magic previously, but with the new cart everything sounds kinda...well...digital (blech!). Even my gf pointed out it doesn't have that vinyl sound. It just lacks warmth. I checked the tone controls on the receive to make sure they weren't getting in the way.

So I'm assuming a few things here:

1. The cart/stylus need to be configured properly. Is there an online guide? I have the shure tracking thing-a-jig to align the styus properly but don't know how to use it...if the instructions were included, I've lost them. Anti-skate? I have no clue what it does.

2. The cartridge needs some break-in/burn in.

3. I need a phono preamp. I have one of those cheap ones...sumiko I think. I tried it this past weekend and it hummed like a person...thanks, but no thanks. I have no clue what the problem is with it or if it even needs to be calibrated somehow for MM cartridges. It has some sort of diagram on it showing "settings" for MM or MC...don't have any clue how to set it up.

With the old cart, I only had my headphone rig and whatever records I put on, they sounded terrific (warm, punchy, musical). Now, it sounds cold as ice. I'll get some pics posted later tonight of the cart and see if anyone can chime in. Thanks for reading!

Oct 31, 2006 at 10:03 AM Post #2 of 20
I too have a P3 TT and Grado Gold cart. Yes, the cart. body hangs just a few mm off the lp. Maybe your last cart has a seriously bent stylli?

For protractors, try the Vinyl Engine, http://www.vinylengine.com/ Look under Library, Protractors. Either the Baerward or Stevenson for Rega will work fine.

Phono amps make a big difference. Breaking in the cart could account for the dry sound....but then with lp's, my strategy is not to change anything once a good sound has been adjusted to my liking...even if nothing is aligned or the needle is wearing a groove in the records.

Oct 31, 2006 at 1:55 PM Post #3 of 20
Thanks for the reply Mike!

Here's some pics:

DSC06011.jpg

DSC06012.jpg

DSC06013.jpg

DSC06014.jpg

Oct 31, 2006 at 2:31 PM Post #4 of 20
I really like the Gold in my rig - it was set up by Todd so it should be aligned just right, and Lan came over and enjoyed it, even tho I was using it with the Marantz 2226's phono stage and Marantz headphone out at the time, go figure. When I get home tonite I'll take a pic of it and we'll compare on Wed, which is when the cable guy should be coming to install my Roadrunner internet finally!

Oct 31, 2006 at 4:27 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
I really like the Gold in my rig - it was set up by Todd so it should be aligned just right, and Lan came over and enjoyed it, even tho I was using it with the Marantz 2226's phono stage and Marantz headphone out at the time, go figure. When I get home tonite I'll take a pic of it and we'll compare on Wed, which is when the cable guy should be coming to install my Roadrunner internet finally!

Cool, definitely post a pic, thanks Jahn!

Oct 31, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #6 of 20
From your first pic it looks like the VTA is off, maybe you can raise up the tonearm. Is the tonearm tube level?
Check the tracking force, may be its too high. What arm is on this P3? The rega 250?
Okay, i jst re-read your post. Do you have it hooked up to a phono input on the Denon receiver? If not you will need that phono pre-amp.
Go to the vinyl-engine, look for alignment protractors, print one out and align the cart properly, then set tracking force, then set up the arm height. if you need help we can walk you through this.

Oct 31, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by studeb
From your first pic it looks like the VTA is off, maybe you can raise up the tonearm. Is the tonearm tube level?
Check the tracking force, may be its too high. What arm is on this P3? The rega 250?
Okay, i jst re-read your post. Do you have it hooked up to a phono input on the Denon receiver? If not you will need that phono pre-amp.
Go to the vinyl-engine, look for alignment protractors, print one out and align the cart properly, then set tracking force, then set up the arm height. if you need help we can walk you through this.

Unfortunately I don't know what a VTA is nor a tonearm tube level.
redface.gif

It's a grace tonearm...I don't know the model# and why the last owner installed one. I typically see the rega's with a rega tonearm.

Yep, it's hooked up to the phono input on the receiver (it's a yamaha). The ground wire is also hooked up to the GND connection in the back of the receiver. I'll try out the alignment protractors tonight and see if that helps. Let me know what a vta and tonearm tube level are so I can get to the bottom of this...I really need a vinyl for dummies book
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 20
okay its a Grace arm, probably 707II with black "carbon fiber' arm tube, get the manual for the 707 from the vinyl engine
VTA vertical tracking angle is the angle of the diamond in the groove.
Arm tube is the part of the tonearm between the pivot bearing and the headshell.

Okay lets start with VTF
Disable the anti-skate by removing the weight on the little arm. Put the stylus guard on and release the arm from the rest and move it over beside the record. It will fall down and towards the arm rest. At the back of the tonearm is the counterweight, turn it clockwise until the arm balances LEVEL. Lock the arm back on the rest. At the front of the counterweight is a graded scale. Hold the weight with the right hand, and the scale ring with the left hand. Turn the scale until the 0 is at 12:00, there should be a line on the stubarm. Now release the scale, and turn the counterweight to 1.5. That should set the tracking weight to 1.5g. Put the anti-skating weight back on to the third marking on the line.
Put a record on, how does it sound now?

Nov 1, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by studeb
okay its a Grace arm, probably 707II with black "carbon fiber' arm tube, get the manual for the 707 from the vinyl engine
VTA vertical tracking angle is the angle of the diamond in the groove.
Arm tube is the part of the tonearm between the pivot bearing and the headshell.

Okay lets start with VTF
Disable the anti-skate by removing the weight on the little arm. Put the stylus guard on and release the arm from the rest and move it over beside the record. It will fall down and towards the arm rest. At the back of the tonearm is the counterweight, turn it clockwise until the arm balances LEVEL. Lock the arm back on the rest. At the front of the counterweight is a graded scale. Hold the weight with the right hand, and the scale ring with the left hand. Turn the scale until the 0 is at 12:00, there should be a line on the stubarm. Now release the scale, and turn the counterweight to 1.5. That should set the tracking weight to 1.5g. Put the anti-skating weight back on to the third marking on the line.
Put a record on, how does it sound now?

Thanks for the tips...I'll try this tomorrow and report back with pics.

Nov 1, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #10 of 20
ok i took a pic of my cart (protesting the playing of "So Hard" by the Pet Shop Boys) and your cart is DEFINITELY riding too low. Here's mine on the left, yours on the right!
DSC06012.jpg

Nov 2, 2006 at 12:07 PM Post #11 of 20
gloco: If the base is the same as for the original 707, you should see a metal ring with three screws directly above the base - and above that should be another metal ring with a single screw: if you open that screw, you should be able to pull the arm out a little higher (concluding from your pics, I'd say some 5 mm should do...). If you wonder about the ring with the three screws, iirc that was the one for fixing the base assembly to the armboard...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Just btw, I'm not sure whether you ever mentioned anything about being pleased or not with the recommended Coolermaster Centurion 5 pc case - but I hope you're happy with it, anyway...

Nov 2, 2006 at 4:15 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
gloco: If the base is the same as for the original 707, you should see a metal ring with three screws directly above the base - and above that should be another metal ring with a single screw: if you open that screw, you should be able to pull the arm out a little higher (concluding from your pics, I'd say some 5 mm should do...). If you wonder about the ring with the three screws, iirc that was the one for fixing the base assembly to the armboard...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Just btw, I'm not sure whether you ever mentioned anything about being pleased or not with the recommended Coolermaster Centurion 5 pc case - but I hope you're happy with it, anyway...

Hey! I totally forgot you recommended the Cooler master case...yep, it's been great. It's very silent and MrSlacker actually stopped by this past weekend and install a new mobo for me in the case.
cool.gif

As for the rega...I haven't had a chance to work on it, I have a concert tonight, so I'll definitely get to it this weekend. Personally, I feel that the stylli doesn't "stick out" enough like Jahn's does.

Nov 2, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
ok i took a pic of my cart (protesting the playing of "So Hard" by the Pet Shop Boys) and your cart is DEFINITELY riding too low. Here's mine on the left, yours on the right!
DSC06012.jpg

Thanks Jahn...I wonder if having mine screwed in the opposite way (the screws point upward on mine) has any bearing on how the cart is situated.

I still plan on taking studeb's advice this weekend to get to the bottom of this...I'll snap some more pics of the stylli so people can chime in and see if its too close to the cartridge and not sticking out enough.

Nov 2, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #14 of 20
it doesn't matter which way they screw, its all good

check the tracking force, as lini suggested you can change the arm height, but it is unlikely you did that changing carts. i think when you changed carts, you bumped the counterweight, and its riding heavy.
After that is settled we can do the alignment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back