Rega P3 or Musichall MMF-5
Dec 19, 2004 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gastwa

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to shelf my old systemdex IIx. I've narrowed my search down to the Rega P3 and Musichall MMF-5. Listen to rock, folk, jazz, classical. Have Senn 650's, WooAudio 3 headphone amp. Would value your opinions on which table I should go with and any suggestions on phono preamps for either of these two tables?

Dec 19, 2004 at 4:09 PM Post #2 of 6
They are both good tables and very similar. I would get which ever one you can get a better deal on. I do not think you will hear much of a difference between them. Spend the extra money on the phono stage and the cartridge.

What is your price range for the phono stage and the cartridge? It is tough to make a recommendation without a price range.

Also, do you have an amp for speakers and what is it? That might influence the recommendations.

Dec 19, 2004 at 4:18 PM Post #3 of 6
I have budgeted $500 - $750 for an upgraded cartridge and phono stage. I don't plan to use it with another amp or speakers, just for headphone use. Also, what do you think about the NAD turntable? It is a rebadged Rega. I can get wholesale prices on NAD, so I might be able to get it very cheap.

Dec 19, 2004 at 4:39 PM Post #4 of 6
I have not heard the NAD. If it is a rebadged Rega and you can get it for a great price, I would go for it. The Rega is a nice table and it really makes no difference who’s name is on it.

I use a ClearAudio Aurum Beta. List appears to be around $400, but I am sure you can find it cheaper. I like the cartridge a lot. It seems to be pretty neutral – maybe a little relaxed in the highs.

The Shelter line of cartridges has gotten good reviews, but I have not heard them. If I were buying a new cartridge in your price range I would try to audition the Shelter 301. Todd has it for $550.

Creek makes a decent phono stage, the OBH-18. It seems to run around $250. With your budget, I would tend to invest more in the cartridge than in the phono stage. When I auditioned gear, I think the cartridge provided a bit more bang for the buck.

Dec 19, 2004 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 6
I wouldn't count out the SOTA line of tables. The Comet might be a tad over your budget, but the Moonbeam just might fit the bill. Give Todd the Vinyl Junkie a call and talk with him about what you are looking for, he won't disappoint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back