Rega Ear
Jan 4, 2009 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jaksun

New Head-Fier
Hi!

I've searched the forum and could not find anyone who had any major experience with this amp.

I've just bought a set of AKG K601 and of course i did find it to be very power hungry, therefore i decided i need to buy myself a proper amp.

Since my budget is limited and i need it to be connected to my x-fi card i figure that the rega ear should fit my needs perfectly, tho i would love to hear from someone who actually have tried it.

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #4 of 14
Run, don't walk. It's expensive but made of very cheap parts.

Jan 5, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #5 of 14
the two naysayers have never heard it, and jigglybootch didnt elaborate.

it's a fine amp and has a powerful output, however it needs a good source to shine. the signature is relatively balanced with a stout bass output. however i don't think it would play nice with the 601. i would look for something with a more colored signature, especially in the treble.

Jan 5, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #6 of 14
One reviewer went through it carefully and showed that it was made of Korean parts and an ancient op amp...it is a rip off, and they also did not like its sound. There are so many better made alternatives.

Jan 5, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One reviewer went through it carefully and showed that it was made of Korean parts and an ancient op amp...it is a rip off, and they also did not like its sound. There are so many better made alternatives.

All right, but im having a hard time finding something else in the amp section for about the same price, i've also looked at the Pro-Ject HeadBox II, tho i've read in a few reviews that the headbox sounds worse than the rega.

The issue is that i live in sweden and thus there are not alot of amps to choose from unless i want to order from the states.

Jan 5, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #8 of 14
Have you looked at the firestone products or the shanling ph100?

Jan 5, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by J.D.N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you looked at the firestone products or the shanling ph100?

I've looked at the FUBAR lll, but from what i have read it aint a particularly good amp for the K601?

Jan 5, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #10 of 14
I owned an Ear and thought it was not very good at all. A Meier Arietta is much, much better, and costs less.

Jan 5, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #11 of 14
I second the Arietta...$225 shipped and it's built by someone who cares, it is not some ancient, dying design. I base this on knowing nothing about the product except its excellent reputation and its apparent build quality. Skylab has heard the whole product line though and I trust his judgement.

Jan 5, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I owned an Ear and thought it was not very good at all. A Meier Arietta is much, much better, and costs less.

Oh! Very nice, 195 eur is pretty much exactly how much i would pay for the rega ear here in sweden so that would work out perfectly.

So it's pretty much down to the Fubar III or the Meier Arietta, i personally figure that the Meier Arietta is more bang for the buck right? Tho the Fubar III does have an internal dac, tho i do like the sound from my x-fi, it just feels powerless and faint for my K601's.

Jan 5, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #13 of 14
You just need to pawn it.
biggrin.gif

Jan 5, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #14 of 14
I have also heard the Fubar III, and yes, the Arietta is definitely better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back