Rega Ear vs. MG HEAD DT/OTL MKII
Aug 7, 2003 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Derek N

New Head-Fier
Ok this may not even be a fair comparison but what are your thoughts.

Sound comparison?

I am a bit intrigued by the tube thing i must say and could probably swing getting the MG.

I will be using HD-600s with whatever amp I get. I am currently using my HK reciever and or my SCD-C222ES and although they both give enough volume the low frequecies are missing. I am new to this so my listening with headphones doesn't really have anything to compare too. Will the amp add a full range, since i don't need anymore volume?

I thought I would add that I will be listening using headphones only occasionally (as the fancy hits me - although now that I have HD600s it has increased considerably). Does this light use have implecations for using a tube amp.

Derek

Aug 7, 2003 at 3:47 PM Post #2 of 8
The thought occurs to me that for occasional use, tubes are maybe not the best thing. If you get a good solid state rig, you can leave it on 24x7 so it will always be ready and waiting for you.

I haven't heard the Rega for myself but I remember reading some comparison between it and the Creek offerings. As I recall, the Creek came out on top. I owned an OBH-11SE for a few years and was very pleased with it, although something like JMT or others can cook up might suit your needs better. You might also give something like HeadRoom Little or Meier PC or HA-1 a try.

Aug 8, 2003 at 5:22 AM Post #3 of 8
I own both of these amps, the rega sounds thinner, sharper on the highs, and not as deep on the bass. There almost 2 different sounds, the mg head is smooth with a luscious mid range deep bass, smooth highs, vocals sound alot more realistic. The rega is alot sharper on the highs, its very solid state sounding. It also sounds thinner in the midrange compared to the head. I think the mg head sounds alot better its entirely subjectvie though. I am using a tube cd player as well so it probably sounds different then a solid state one.

You can still have tube gear if you dont use it alot you will just have to let it warm up for about 10 mins or so. Also dont turn it on and off, tube gear is different then solid state but it doesnt require that much extra care. Get the mg head because it looks cooler especially in the dark with the "tubey" glow. You can also change the tubes for better sound i dont know much about this because my budget is gone and i have no money for tube rollng..

Aug 8, 2003 at 10:10 AM Post #4 of 8
I own ther Rega ear and it's a good little amp for the money. I've never heard the MG Head but owned the ASL OTL32, it's big brother. If they where the same price I would buy the MG Head over the Rega even without hearing it first. I also agree that tubes for ocasional use are just fine.

Aug 8, 2003 at 1:14 PM Post #5 of 8
Neggy: thanks for your comments especially since you own both. I have been leaning towards the MG because if nothing else it will give a different sound than all the rest of my ss gear. But I really wanted to know a little more about the differences in sound, and you described it brilliantly.

Of course auditioning them would have been even better but that simply does not seem possible in my area.

Tom: Thanks for your input. I really wanted to hear what another user thought price independent. I realized that the price difference was considerable and it seems most have had a hard time comparing them simply because of the price difference.

Now a few more questions. Use and care for a tube amp, i understand (now) that I have to warm them up. But you mention not turning them on and off. What do you mean? Let them warm up and then leave them on for a specific time period or not repeatedly turn them on and off over a short period, say a day. Would it be feasible to use it one day, turn it off and then repeat the process in two days (or everday if there were say 20hr between uses)? What would be the negetive of doing so? Tubes burning out? Are replacements somewhat easy to find and buy?

What is tube rolling? Is this simply exchanging tubes or is it some sort of tube prep?

Thanks for all your help?

Derek N
600smile.gif

Aug 8, 2003 at 2:48 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by neggy
The rega is alot sharper on the highs, its very solid state sounding. It also sounds thinner in the midrange compared to the head. I think the mg head sounds alot better its entirely subjectvie though. I am using a tube cd player as well so it probably sounds different then a solid state one

If the Ear sounds thin and sharp in comparison, your tube setup must be a bloated mess.

Aug 8, 2003 at 8:21 PM Post #7 of 8
neggy, Beagle brings up a good point about the Rega. I consider the one I have to be along the lines of other rega products I've heard. The Ear to me is more on the warm side for solid state. I think it's a good value for 225.00.

Aug 8, 2003 at 10:11 PM Post #8 of 8
OK maybe i exaggerated it a bit. Beagle you sound like your getting a little defensive, do you own the rega ear? Have you even heard an mg head? My setup doesnt sound bloated at all its a subtle difference between the ear which is more on the sharper side for cymbals and some guitar. Their both very good amps i just prefer the head over the rega. The hd 600's were made to go with the mg head, theres a very nice synergy
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back