Rega ear or Music fidelity x-cans for grado 325i
Mar 4, 2007 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ta4101

New Head-Fier
I'm pondering between these 2 classics because they both fit in my budget and are readily available in the UK.

Anyone with any experience with these two?

I have heard the Rega is very good with Grado's but I have always been somewhat drawn to the often quirky music fidelity equipment.

Any advice would be awesome
biggrin.gif

Baden

Mar 5, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #3 of 11
I never heard either of the amps you specified. But something tells me strongly that your SR325 should sing well with headroom MicroAmp. I owned MicroAmp once and I think it's sound signature would synergize well with ultra clear, bright, forward sounding SR325. If you have chance to attend local hi-fi meet, please try this combo.

Mar 5, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #4 of 11
I own a Rega Ear; it wouldn't be my first choice to pair with SR-325is. It's a perfectly fine amp for the price, but it sounds a bit lean. That, coupled with the already bright Grados, proved to be too fatiguing for my tastes. The Rega is a much better match for the Sennheiser HD-580s and HD-600s, for which it was designed.

I haven't heard the X-Cans for more than a few minutes at a time, so i can't compare the two. If it were me spending my money, I'd just get a pair of flat pads for the 325is instead of an amp. That would probably make a bigger difference than that between the two amps.

Mar 5, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voyager /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own a Rega Ear; it wouldn't be my first choice to pair with SR-325is. It's a perfectly fine amp for the price, but it sounds a bit lean. That, coupled with the already bright Grados, proved to be too fatiguing for my tastes. The Rega is a much better match for the Sennheiser HD-580s and HD-600s, for which it was designed.

I haven't heard the X-Cans for more than a few minutes at a time, so i can't compare the two. If it were me spending my money, I'd just get a pair of flat pads for the 325is instead of an amp. That would probably make a bigger difference than that between the two amps.

This all depends on what source you are using?

ipod? dac1? .. If the former, I agree with voyager.
You live in the uk right ...sure you can't spring for an nva amp? i know they work really well 325i and apparently rs2?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-NVA-AP10H-...QQcmdZViewItem

Mar 6, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #7 of 11
Thanks a lot for the help guys looks like I'll be saving up a few more pennies
wink.gif

I love my 325i's but I do agree they need taming a bit, the detail is aweinspiring but they are a tiring headphone and I hope with the right amp I will get even more pleasure off them.

Watch this space
rs1smile.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My recollection is that the Rega Ear is for high impedence headphones. I've heard it with Grados and didn't find it to be a good match.

I agree. Not a good match. Gain is way too high for volume flexibility when using Grados.

Mar 6, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ta4101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my 325i's but I do agree they need taming a bit, the detail is aweinspiring but they are a tiring headphone and I hope with the right amp I will get even more pleasure off them.

If that's the case, I'd definantly get a pair of flat pads. They'd cost a lot less than an amp, would arguably make a bigger difference, and it would be towards the direction you want. Especially if you are using a lesser source, I wouldn't bother with an amp. I've listened to just about every Grado extensively on plenty of amps, and I found that amps are most useful for getting the last bit of sonic bliss out of a recording; the flat pads on the other hand completely change the character of the sound, and make the treble balanced.

Mar 6, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #10 of 11
i definitely second the notion that the rega ear not be paired with grados. The rega ear is a very forward-sounding amp, which coupled with the grados would result in a HIGHLY fatiguing sound in which even the flatpads cannot tame. NOT recommended, suggest you spring for the X-cans

Mar 7, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #11 of 11
I have not heard the Rega Ear so I will not comment on it. I have listened to a few Musical Fidelity V2's and V3's. Some have been stock, partially modded, to full PinkFloyd mods. IMO they sound fantastic with Grados (RS-1 and RS-2), AKGs (K501, K701, and K340), 2005 Beyer DT 990 (250 ohm), and Senn HD600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back