Rega Ear and HD650
Jan 17, 2005 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Holmgr3N-

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I have HD650 driven directly from my soundcard (Audigy2). My Rega Ear is on its way.
I wonder, is the gain on Rega too high for the HD650? Will i earn much if i invest in an E-MU card?

I really love the sound now directly from Audigy2. Will the Rega add much for the sound?

Jan 17, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Holmgr3N-
Hello!

I have HD650 driven directly from my soundcard (Audigy2). My Rega Ear is on its way.
I wonder, is the gain on Rega too high for the HD650? Will i earn much if i invest in an E-MU card?

I really love the sound now directly from Audigy2. Will the Rega add much for the sound?

I love the Rega Ear HD650 combo. The only "drawback" of the Ear is it is not as versatile as other amps. Paired with a Sennheiser, however, you can spend more and not necessarily get correspondingly better results. I have listened to the HD650 using an HR-2, SR-71, Prehead MK II SE, and Ear -- if the Ear is all you have, you are not missing much. The Ear is less detailed than the "other" amps, but more than good enough in my book. I say the Ear is excellent with the HD-650.

Is the 21.5dB gain of the Ear too much? Grados and canal phones -- YES. Sennheiser HD650 -- definitely NO.

I have no idea whether the Rega Ear will add "much" to the sound of your existing source -- hear it for yourself before upgrading the source. I can say that the Ear drives the HD650 effortlessly. People in the forum always advise to amp the HD650 for best results. The Ear is more than capable of "amping" the HD650.

I sold my Rega Ear primarily because it is too loud for canal phones and I don't need more than 2 amps.

---Pat

Jan 17, 2005 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Will i earn much if i invest in an E-MU card?

I estimate you'll be in for a treat. But do upgrade your source, the A2 does not do justice to decent (in this case, excellent) headphones. I'm not even sure which would be the "better" upgrade - Rega, or just a plain E-Mu card. I can't emphasize the importance of having a good source enough!
smily_headphones1.gif

Heh, listening to "Evidence" from the Equilibrium soundtrack reminds me again why I so like the 0404.

Jan 18, 2005 at 1:33 PM Post #4 of 9
I'm happy to hear that you like the Rega Ear HD650 combo
lambda.gif

The Ear is on its way now. If i'm not happy with it i'd just upgrade the source.
Luckily a friend of mine has a EMU0404 card.

I don't really hear that much difference from A2 and EMU (when used with no amp) Only that the A2 can play a little louder. Other than that, it has prettty much the same sound. EMU card maybe a bit smoother but not much. Perhaps the difference will be more clear with an amp.

Jan 18, 2005 at 2:02 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

I'm happy to hear that you like the Rega Ear HD650 combo
lambda.gif

The Ear is on its way now. If i'm not happy with it i'd just upgrade the source.
Luckily a friend of mine has a EMU0404 card.

I don't really hear that much difference from A2 and EMU (when used with no amp) Only that the A2 can play a little louder. Other than that, it has prettty much the same sound. EMU card maybe a bit smoother but not much. Perhaps the difference will be more clear with an amp.

Actually, I haven't heard that combo. But! I was very pleased even with the PC II/HD600's, and I do think the Rega will be a better pick for the higher-end Senn's.
smily_headphones1.gif

You should listen to the 0404 for a few days, and then try to go back to the A2, since it takes a while for your ears to adjust to the new sound.

Jan 18, 2005 at 3:31 PM Post #6 of 9
I said it to the person over
smily_headphones1.gif

The Rega Ear was actually ment for the higher end Senns wasn't it?
I'm really looking forward to have it in my room.
I will report back on what I think of it.

Jan 18, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Whoops, my bad.
smily_headphones1.gif
But to answer the current question: supposedly, the Rega was voiced using HD600's, or perhaps some other Senn's. So you could say it was made for them, in a way.

Jan 19, 2005 at 7:28 AM Post #8 of 9
I auditioned the Rega Ear with Senn 650 at a local dealer and was very impressed. Sweet combo. Online reviews say it is ideal for 650, 600 very good also. Slightly better than Creek 11-? which I also auditioned. I did not have enough time for super extensive listening and A/B but I am positive the Ear is a very fine amp for those cans.

Jan 19, 2005 at 1:25 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Does anyone know where the information that the Rega Ear was meant for Senns? I have read in a number of threads that it was voiced for the 580's, 600's but I can't find the support for those statements. A local dealer has let me take home a Rega Ear to try out with PS-1's. I certainly recognize a gain issue as I can't listen much past 9:00 or it becomes too loud. Having said that, the sound it creates up to that point is not bad. It is certainly different from my Moth but it is not bad for an amp that cost $225 new. It appears to be well made in a the same extruded aluminum case as my Mira 3 and the Jupiter/Planet. I've had similar gain issues with other amps and Grado's. Sorry if you think I've hijacked your thread but it made more sense to ask here rather than start another thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back