Rega Ear Amp very very loud !
Dec 16, 2001 at 10:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

robert_cyrus

Head-Fier
the volume control hardly needs any rotation until ear-splitting volumes are reached (using senn hd580's). if 7 o'clock is zero volume, 8 is loud, and 9 is *ouch* loud.
i've found the Harrison Labs Attenuators available from headroom in both 6dB and 12dB versions. now i know 3dB is a doubling in volume from my physics at school (a very long time ago).
so will 6dB attenuation be enough, or should i try the 12's ?
i'm in the UK, so would rather buy the correct one, than both, and send one back.
or does anyone know of other manufacturers of similar, so i could try to source one in the uk (no luck so far) ?
thanks
robert

Dec 16, 2001 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 10
If I remember correctly (If I don't somebody here will surely correct me - and this is from a loooong time ago), the perceived/subjective doubling/halfing occurs every 10 db.

Dec 17, 2001 at 1:04 AM Post #3 of 10
Legoman - yep, that is right. The 3dB is a double in the actual sound pressure level, every 10db is percieved as twice as loud.

Dec 17, 2001 at 3:20 AM Post #4 of 10
I had the same problem with my setup -- Headroom amp and HD600's. The 12 dB version was recommended by Danny at Headroom (search for "attenuator" in the Headroom fourm).

I bought the 12 dB attenuators and I am happy with them. The change in volume is actually less than I had expected. I still use the lower end of the pot, even with the 12 dB attenuators. For my setup, I now need to turn the pot to roughly 10 o'clock to get what used to be at about 8 o'clock (no SPL meter, just using my ears and memory, which is not especially accurate...). Your mileage may vary.

Good Luck,
Ian

Dec 17, 2001 at 4:03 AM Post #7 of 10
Perception of loudness is an interesting thing. Musical material is a consideration - jazz and classical or music that contains alot of dynamic range needs **** loads of headroom for the music to be satisfying to me. With music that's flat or lacking d-range, gain doesn't seem to be a problem - the music seems to always be too loud!

Dec 21, 2001 at 12:39 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

With music that's flat or lacking d-range, gain doesn't seem to be a problem - the music seems to always be too loud!

I have the opposite problem sometimes - when I am listening to quiet classical music, I always feel that it is too quiet, although dynamic classical music is great. Some recordings are simply way too loud, but I usually find a nice comfy listening level and change it (Although with dynamic classical I almost always have to turn it down a bit after the inital setting to get it right).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back