Rega amp?
Jan 3, 2002 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

canhead

Head-Fier
does anyone use this new amp? if so how does it compare to say the creek se, or headrooms the little? im looking for a good solid state amp that works well with my sony 7506s.

thanks

Jan 3, 2002 at 2:35 AM Post #2 of 12
Hey Canhead. I have the old Rega Ear, but as I understand it, the new and old versions only differ in their case. When I compared it to the Creek SE, I felt that the Rega was more detailed, and had slightly better imaging throughout the soundstage. I used this amp with several headphones, formerly Grado SR-80s and RS-2s, and currently with Senn HD580s, and a pair of Grado HP-1s. It sounds awesome with all of these headphones, having a slight tendency toward brightness and a lean bass; the bass, however lean, does go deep though. I have not listened to the Sony 7506 through this amp though, and can't give comments on this combination. If you want more info, just ask.

Jan 3, 2002 at 9:37 PM Post #3 of 12
thanks for the reply Voyager. i am strongly considering the rega, or headrooms the little as my first amp. they are close to the same price. i know rega makes good high end gear and i thought it should be pretty good. but im also interested with the little because the crossfeed. do you need crossfeed?

Jan 3, 2002 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 12
Voyager

What's the volume pot like on your Rega. When I use my Beyer 250-80's zero volume is pretty near loud enough. With the Senn HD600's i can move the pot a few millimetres before reaching decent volume?

Does it burn in nicely. Just got it and it's OK - not as good as the X-Cans V2 though (apart from it's still working after 24 hours - which the X-Cans didn't manage).

Quite happy with it though - will do nicely for work with my PCDP and Beyers
smily_headphones1.gif

Will need to get something better for home use though. The jack on my Cyrus integrated amp is noticeably better (mind you i reckon it was probably as good as the X-Cans too, just the X-Cans never lived long enough for an A/B)
confused.gif

Jan 4, 2002 at 4:10 AM Post #5 of 12
20silkcut, when using the output of my Yamaha CDP with Senn HD580s or Grado HP-1s, I find that the Rega reaches a sufficient volume at just below 9:00. With the RS-2s I used to have, the volume was usually at about 7:00 or 8:00. When I use the line out of my PCDP(Panasonic CT470), I need the volume at about 10:00 for my HP-1s or HD580s. Also, when connected to DanG's Marantz CD-6000 OSE, I felt a much higher volume was needed. For the RS-2s it was about 12:00. What I am getting at, is that it may be the output volume of your source that is too loud. I did not have the unit during it's burn-in as I got it used, so I cannot comment on that.

EDIT: Canhead, I do not use crossfeed. The Rega does not have any, and the crossfeed I have tried (from a Headroom Airhead, not TA) had a minimal effect, though I'm sure that their higher end products have a more substancial crossfeed.

Jan 4, 2002 at 10:18 AM Post #6 of 12
Voyager,

Just experimented with the volume on the Marantz CD63 MkII KI line out. If I turn the line out volume to zero then i get no sound from the Rega at zero volume and need to go to about 12 o'clock to get sufficient sound. Unfortunately this badly degrades the line out of the Marantz and hence i'm stuck with 7 to 7:30 on the Rega
mad.gif

Currently testing the PCDP line-out. Need about 8 o'clock with the Senns and stuck at 7 - 7:30 again with the Beyers.

Ah well, such is life
frown.gif

Jan 4, 2002 at 4:44 PM Post #7 of 12
20silkcut,
I had a similar problem with the volume being too loud. I bought some 12 dB attenuators (from HeadRoom) which helped -- they are made just for this purpose.

Maybe this would work for you as well.

Jan 4, 2002 at 11:02 PM Post #10 of 12
Ian/Robert

Thanks for the info. What do they do for the sound. I assume they are meant to be transparent. Are they?

Having said that i have already reverted to the Cyrus I - the Rega will be for work only with the PCDP. Mind you i'll still need the attenuators cos it is still far to loud even with the PCDP
confused.gif

Jan 5, 2002 at 4:59 AM Post #11 of 12
20silkcut,
The attenuators from HeadRoom are essentially transparent in my system (HD-600, HeadRoom Little More Power amp, Denon CD). Possibly you will hear degradation if your system is better then mine.

Remember that the attenuators are just resistors, so it is reasonable that they would have a minimal sonic signature (likely less degradation than your potentiometer).

Jan 5, 2002 at 7:00 PM Post #12 of 12
i can go nearer 9 o'clock on the volume now, without bleeding. 8 o'clock is just about right, and i can lessen easily if/when required.

20silkcut, u have one of the cyrus 1's with a headphone socket ? - my kit is all cyrus (apart from the speakers) but none of it with a headphone socket, hence the rega. shame cyrus don't make one .... hey, that's not a bad idea ("dear peter bartlett, .....")
www.cyrusunofficial.co.uk
cheers
robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Back